• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What brands do you recommend for an Enfield?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've been shooting my Parker-Hale '53 for many years now, and I use a Lyman mold that throws a 560 grain Minie of .575" diameter. I, and everyone that I know of that shoots any form of rifle-musket including the various Enfields, are great believers in obturation and would not want a round that did not expand to fill the grooves. I find it difficult to believe that the British military would specify a bullet so tight fitting that after a couple of shots the soldier would need to wipe the bore in order to continue firing. This would ruin one of the Minie's advantages. A .575 Minie is a snug enough fit and easily expands to fill the rifling. A thicker skirt rather than shallower grooves would be a better way to lessen expansion, though I can think of no reason to want this. A thicker skirt does allow somewhat heavier powder charges without blowing out the Minie's skirt which can be useful in some situations.
According to the Dixie catalog, the BU0901 Minie weighs 460 grains, not 560 grains. It is listed as being of .577 diameter and, if it were about 100 grains heavier, is something I might use in my '63 Springfield or Zouave. It is way to tight for my old Enfield. Nothing in my catalog suggests that it is meant for the Enfield anyway.

Lets stop & think for a minute. If there was zero clearance, how could you load from the muzzle? Even if possible, fouling will build with each shot & fouling would result in zero clearance becoming an oversize round. These are military guns, not benchrest. They are not loaded with a mallet. Also, in an unpatched round such as a minie, there is nothing to engage the rifling unless there is expansion of the skirt into the groves.
I have had a Parker-Hale for over 30 years & shoot a Lyman minie swaged down to .575. It shoots very with this round.

Back