• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What can be done with a GPR kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just purchased a Lyman .54 flint kit.

I know some of you guys have done amazing things with GPR kits. If you have built a GPR kit, I'd like to see some pics or links please.

Thanks

Greg

Some of the biggest changes I have seen are in the stock. Reducing the size and shape of the cheekpiece, reducing the amount of curve in the butt, and taking some of the "belly" out of the stock, putting in inlay, etc. Keep searching and you will find lots of stuff.

Here are a few minor changes I made in a 54 GPR that I got in a trade.
MVC-035S-1.jpg

First GPR kit - browned the barrel and furniture with Laurel Mountain, stained the stock with Herter's French Red filler and finished with 6 coats of Tru-Oil, each rubbed with 0000 steel wool. Then waxed with paste wax. The lock was left as furnished by Lyman.
P4300056.jpg

P4300063.jpg

P4300059.jpg

P4300079.jpg

P4300077.jpg

Just study origianl rifles (pictures) and see how certain things can be applied to your rifle. Things like escutcheons and such are about what you want to do.

These guys have some nice rifles. Also, like scott said, search the pictures and builders forum for examples; there are a bunch. :wink:

What do you want to do with the kit? I have seen wood inlays, metal inlays, carving, modified cheek pieces, wire inlays, changes in buttplates, and trigger guards. I have seen full stocks put on these. That is why I ask the question. I am not interested in giving you a hard time. You own the gun. Its yours. Do as you wish.

Now that I am thinking about it, I saw a gun that someone had painted in psychedelic paints! He not only didn't "Miss" the sixties, he was still there! It was a serious conversation piece in the camp.

I went plain and simple with mine. Browned barrel and hardware, no stain, Tru-oil finish.

Finished.jpg

HD

Latest posts

Back