• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What can I build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I been thinking of what else you could do with the piece of wood to make it work.
I got a brain storm and it isn't to far fetched.
This will depend on how wide the wood is.
If wide enough you could rip it down the middle, then glue it together makein it twice as wide.
You may think this is undoable. but it is very doable.
For one, a glue joint is stronger then wood , and two, think about it. since it is in no way going to be a PC gun to start with, the new era of sporting rifles are laminated.
So what do ya'll think.

Woody

FV,
If it were me and I was hell bent on making a rifle out of it, this is what I'ld do based on my understanding of what you have to work with. As others have suggested, I'ld go with a 3/4" barrel in .32 or .36. I'ld inlet the barrel to the right of the blank (because I would be building a right handed gun) so the edge of the barrel is 1/4" from the edge of the blank. This should leave you with 5/8" on the left side. Then I would slab off the left side leaving 1/4" of wood. (Stop well short of the side plate panel). Now you have the barrel inlet with 1/4" of wood on either side. Then take the piece you slabbed off, and find a portion that closely matches the wood in the lock panel area, and laminate that to the blank where the lock panel will be. Now you have a blank about 2" wide at the lock panels. When you inlet the lock and shape the panel, you can carve your lock panel moulding along the laminate joint and no-one will ever know. Because you offset the barrel, this should also leave enough wood for a cheek piece. Also, as others have suggested, go with a late style as they are thinner in the butt and will give you more wood for the CP. After it is finished I would bend about 1/4" of cast off into it. You should be able to make a wonderful little squirrel rifle out of it.
:imo:

Cody

:m2c:
After making 2 guns from kits and cobbling together an old rifle out of old rifle parts, I'm making my first gunstock. I'm certainly no expert and I am learning as I go. Having said that, I think you will make things much more difficult for yourself by using the blank you're talking about. Set it aside and get one that will be a little easier to work with. You can (and probably will) make another gun after you complete your first.
Bill :thumbsup:

This will depend on how wide the wood is....
So what do ya'll think.

Woody

Hick,
Francesco laid out the dimensions and said it was 1 and 5/8" in width. Looking at the stock blank---,(Length=long, Width=side to side dimensions, and Depth=up and down, by his measure.
Question? How would ripping and regluing help this guy?

I think, as others that it is doable, with a small, or no cheek.

Confused,
Terry

Question? How would ripping and regluing help this guy?

Rip it in two length ways.
Put glue on one side of both pieces.
Lay one on top of the other with glue against glue.
Align one edge flush lenght ways.
Clamp firmly until glue drys.

Now you would have a piece of wood twice as thick.

This would work as I said, if it is still wide enough to get the drop in the comb of the stock.

Woody

Francesco laid out the dimensions and said it was 1 and 5/8" in width

I must be looking at a different drawing of Francesco's than you.

Looks like he said it is 1 5/8 inches thick.. NOT wide.

This intire thread has been discussed on 1 5/8 thickness.

:results:

Woody

Back