• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What caused this barrel finish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked this .44 pistol up last year very inexpensively. It’s a kit that someone put very little effort into building...gonna fix that here shortly.

The interesting thing is the finish on the barrel. I assume this was done with a chemical of some sort. I really like it and may try to use the process on another project if I can figure it out.

Can somebody tell me the secret?
51A59DFD-8C74-409C-B10C-745257518889.jpeg
520128ED-99C5-4ABE-A786-1902EEC8D3FF.jpeg
DBCC86C0-2898-48EC-947B-685CB091F194.jpeg

If this was a certain military surplus forum ( i won't name names), we would all tell you it is blood pitting from Napoleon when he was wounded at Waterloo, and that the gun is clearly worth millions. But since this is the real world and we are more practical over here, I would speculate that the barrel wasn't properly degreased. Every time I've produced a blotchy or smeared blue, it was due to improper degreasing/prep. just my guess though.

Those splotches definitely indicate it was not cleaned/degreased properly before applying the blueing/browning.

As to whether that was intentional or not???? It almost seems to be over much of the barrel but there are "gaps".

If it wasn’t a mistake then he may of been trying for a Damascus look. Looks like a q tip was used to paint on stripes of cold blue or some thing. I’ve read of using twine or string having chemicals on them and wrapped around to get a pattern.
SD is a step ahead of me.

I have seen folks wrapping something (twine or rope for example) around a barrel during the finishing process to give it a faux Damascus finish. Maybe a failed attempt?

That's my guess, a vinegar finish, but it also looks like it might have been placed on plastic to dry, (causing the blotching) I wonder if both sides of the barrel have that pattern.

I like it, whatever it is.

He probably tried to do this:
Thinking about it for a bit, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Possibility original builder got the results they were aiming for. Ultimately, would base my would not base my final decision on whether I liked or not only after seeing in person, not just a photograph.

Interesting piece, though I am not sure I care for the look. Almost looks too fabricated, if that makes sense. Just my opinion.

I have one that looks like that. I did it by wrapping cotton clothesline rope and rags around the gun barrel, parts etc and soaking it in vinegar. The pattern depends on the material used. It was a custom .45 caliber barrel and I was thinking I would age it and blue it or age it and brown it...or maybe I didn't think it through at all. At any rate, I liked it so I left it alone. I'll post a picture of that gun soon. Not my prettiest rifle but one of my most shootable rifles. Now for the surprising part. The bluing came off as it should have and it is basically in the white. It darkened but has never rusted. And I ain't that good at cleaning them. I also like the way it looks on you pistol.

Back