• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what constitutes a "Blanket Prize"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwhoffman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Will be going to my first rondy and in reading most flyers for such, one enters the shoot and supplies a prize for the prize blanket or trade blanket ect. I follow this. The question I have is, how elaborate, small, large value ect does this "donated" prize need be?
does a homemade ball block qualify, is a handmade hawk to much, You get the jist of this.
This will probly open a big ol can of worms, but I'm curious.

Thanks,
Brett

The prize usually is something less than $25 in value unless they state otherwise. I often use flint knives that I make and Old carbon steel butcher knives, hand knitted hats and blanket pins. Trade beads tin cups work too. There's allway something on the blanket that catches ones eye and there's allways something there that turns out to be the booby prize. I prefer stuff that's period correct that other folks make.

Regards
Wounded Knee

Most of the time if you ask before you go the orgainizers will give you a value for the prize. I like handmade things but anything that can be used in the sport is ok. I've made horns (easy and fast as I have several) therefore I don't put a value on them. If you are a woodworker maybe something along that line (boxes,stools,)or just caps and bullets everybody can use them. Ok flinters can't use caps but somebody there can. You'll have all kinds of idear after your first blanket match. The $25 or less seems fine. Value is in the eyes of the winner.
Have a good time and get a top pick.
Fox :thumbsup:

If you make stuff, that's what you want to put on the blanket. I make knives & sheaths, shooting bags and other small accoutrements, so I put out an example of my work. It's a good way to get your work out there and have folks try it out.
Usually the range officer will guide you as to value.

Our Club started out years ago assigning a value of blanket prizes at $5.00. Now its $10.00. Soon to be $15.00. We allow cans of black powder,(some clubs don't so better to ask)which are poplar, everybody can use that. Flints are also popular, usually 7-10 pcs. of 3/4". Tin ware is another popular prize.

Regards
Rich Thomas

Sir,
I have seen everything from a can of powder to handmade wooden rocking chairs/knives/hawks etc to Hudson Bay Blankets. In my area, they like to see a minimum value of ~$15. Handmade things are always appreciated, though some of the homemade things I have seen on the blanket left much to be desired.... The rule of thumb for me would be if I would want it (I am very picky and have made nearly everthing I use because I didn't like the quality to price ratio of the item ie. low to mediocre quality item for a high quality item price). Just my own opinion.....
Black Hand

Hello,

Over the yars I have observed that in general most clubs/organizations prefer hand made items which are period correct. Most discourage things like "moosemilk", cast round ball and cans of powder. I generally try to make or buy something nice for a blanket prize. I wouldnt put anything on a blanket that I would not be happy to take.

Charcloth

I agree. I too, try to put out something that I have either made or would like to pick up.

I have had this question asked of me a number of times because I have thrown together a number of shoots. I don't put a doller limit on it because I try to encourage the prizes to be home made of the time period and something that they would want if they came in first. Usually the shooters that think that an old Christmas gift that they don't like is a good gift, they just don't get invited back.
Bob

I have had this question asked of me a number of times because I have thrown together a number of shoots. I don't put a doller limit on it because I try to encourage the prizes to be home made of the time period and something that they would want if they came in first. Usually the shooters that think that an old Christmas gift that they don't like is a good gift, they just don't get invited back. :youcrazy:
Bob

We usually suggest, "at least $10 in value.." but like everyone else, encourage homemade stuff...a couple of times I've used a made-by-me bullet bag and put a few bucks in the bag if I felt that it wasn't that great...I try and get dollar coins...Sacajewas if I can, Susan B. agony's if I can't...what I don't like is seeing stuff I put on the blanket at one shoot put back there by someone else at another shoot...kinda tells me how poor my work is...Hank

I have seen a hand sewn ball bag filled with a choice of balls from a range of available calibers, hand made powder measures, hand made short starters, shooting bags, shooting/range box, home made patch knives, and even a spotting scope.

I would ask for a suggestion the first visit and adjust according to what I learned after.

CS

Latest posts

Back