• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did I buy? Remington New Model 1859?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the input & pics, really nice work. I'm guessing work like that costs a whole bunch more than my budget so I feel pretty fortunate to have picked this one up for a tad over $200. That is absolutely the best guess on solving this puzzle. Thank you very much for all you
You might as well have used a gun the way you stole that pistol! 😂

Thankfully those who possess the skills and talent don’t have the will to cheat.

Kind of like currency forgers. Anyone can go to the wrong side if that is their personality.

I would put it more that there is not enough money in it to be worth while, forge something that has big bucks like a Luger or some such.

I know one guy who bought Lugers and made them matching parts numbers as the parts only had two numbers on the and he bought enough that he could match up the last two part number (01 to 99)

He did not seem to think there was anything wrong with that and to sell them that way. I disagree vehemently. That of course did not stop him.

I saw one guy who worked harder on staying on workmans comp than if he just went back to work. Really wild. All sorts of a mix out there.

Kind of like currency forgers. Anyone can go to the wrong side if that is their personality.

I would put it more that there is not enough money in it to be worth while, forge something that has big bucks like a Luger or some such.

I know one guy who bought Lugers and made them matching parts numbers as the parts only had two numbers on the and he bought enough that he could match up the last two part number (01 to 99)

He did not seem to think there was anything wrong with that and to sell them that way. I disagree vehemently. That of course did not stop him.

I saw one guy who worked harder on staying on workmans comp than if he just went back to work. Really wild. All sorts of a mix out there.
Original Remingtons don’t seem to command the same prices as the Colts although, in the case of the OP’s pistol, in that condition an original would be maybe a 5 figure gun.

Agreed, wrt the length to which people will go to avoid working for a living… it’s downright silly.

Agreed on the silly. Took me some years but I realized even at 10 or 11 all I wanted to do was work at something. I was not so much excited about fish, but working on a guys commercial boat was a great first job. I was happy to do it for free, he insisted on paying me. He won after I refused and he got me a world class rain coat. Ok, I been outmaneuvered, go with it.

My first job out of high school I was given guidance on how to be first on the hire list. The foreman was not happy as he did not know me. That turned out to be funny as two the the guys he hired were quasi useless.

I was kind of beaver like. Point me, chew through the tree and come back and what do you want chewed through next?

I had to move up position wise to make a better living but I was happiest with just work in front of me that needed doing.

Back