• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Do You Use To Lubricate Your 1858 Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep reading many of you do not grease over the ball.

I really did not use very much of the spitball product, which I don't think Hodgdon makes anymore.

Usually, it is just a light application on the outside edge ring area of the ball and chamber where most of the lead of is still showing.

What about that product called wonder seals?

I think it is an over the ball lubricant button which seems to be beewax and tallow of some sort.

I have never used any of this, but would this really cause that much fouling?

I still probably would not cover the ball entirely, rather more like I described above in this post.

Cynthialee said:
I was starting to feel alone out here in the bore butter use. :)
No ma'am, not alone! Used up the last I had that way. Changed patch lubes but still used up the rest in my one-hand :thumbsup: toys!

On the cylinder pin I've used car grease, outboard engine grease, 30W engine oil and 10W (motorcycle) fork oil plus one or two other oils that I have. They all worked. Currently I'm using the fork oil. I also use wax pills (cookies) over the powder. This is a slight variation on Gatafeo's lube - equal parts mutton tallow/beeswax/paraffin wax. I find this seems to keep the fouling under some sort of control. After the first 10 shots I sometimes feel the cylinder rotation starting to stiffen, if that happens I pull the cylinder pin and then push it back in, that's all it seems to need to then be ok.

Back