• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what exactly was a brittish walgun for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recycle33952

40 Cal.
Reaction score
im intrigued by theese big bore guns wondering what period they were from and what the users used them for?

They were often mounted on ships as a "stocked" swivel gun. Also used atop fort walls to keep undesirables at a respectable distance.

The late historian Jac Weller had a collection of these...he told me that they were sometimes mounted on the sidewalls of carts, and used as a crew handled unit support weapon. Jac felt that such a wagon would have 3 or four such guns so that a crew could be loading while someone was shooting...our discussion came from my asking him to ID a metal "golf ball", smaller than a baseball, larger than a real golf ball...it was dug out of our gunclub backstop in Mendham, NJ, and that area had a number of small unit collisions between American and British foragers...Hank

recycle...

The Queen Anne's Revenge (A public house in Charles Town, Colony of South Carolina) has several of them on display amoung the myriad of artifacts which accent the decor. Can't remember how the food was, we were too tired and too enthralled with all the Pirate and AWI guns, weapons, and artifacts scattered around the restaurant!

Check it out on your next trip!

Jim aka kiltiemon

I don't know how true it is but I have read that wall guns were sometimes taken along for use as a light cannon when the party was small or the terrain would be to difficult for a wheeled small cannon to be taken along.

Mine was made about 1790 by Mewis, it has the military lock but no ordnance acceptance mark and a slightly undersized bore, so presumably a civian piece :thumbsup:

wallgun.jpg

Avoid having your picture taken while holding a wallgun, people will assume you are a midget.

Avoid having your picture taken while holding a wallgun, people will assume you are a midget.
wall_gun_1.jpg
[/img]
Who you calling a midgit? I'm just vertically challenged. :grin:

Mike, did you build that one?

Is there any source for good pictures of originals?

Why is it that the LOP always looks so short on a Wallgun? :haha:

flash_in_the_pan said:
Mike, did you build that one?

Is there any source for good pictures of originals?

Why is it that the LOP always looks so short on a Wallgun? :haha:

Yep I built it. I don't know of any source of pictures of wall guns, I guess they aren't a real popular item in today's world. I believe the one I built probably has a 14" trigger pull.
Here's a link to the rest of the Pictures of it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/Gunmaker/chickens/wheaton1.jpg[/IMG]]WALL GUN PICS
This one weighs 38 lbs, is a 4 bore and has a 60" barrel.

[quote=a slightly undersized bore, so presumably a civian piece :thumbsup:

Only if ya got a castle wall to mount it on, or maybe MM could use it as a boarding gun :rotf: Bill

Latest posts

Back