• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What game possible with a .45 PRB?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

Today I ordered a Traditions Deerhunter in .45, very common here in Germany. What kind of deer will I be able to harvest and at which distance? Since this year I'm hunting in a mountain area with roe deer and red deer.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I've taken Whitetail deer with PRB in .45 at 60 yards. It was a well placed lung shot through and through. I'd probably keep it around this distance for this sized animal if you can accurately place your shot.

If I recall correctly, all your shots are at very close ranges, under 50 meter, no? At that distance, any deer that weighs less than 200 lbs. is fair game for your .45 using PRB. If you use conicals, you can take even heavier deer- up to 400 lbs. at those close ranges. That, I believe, covers most of the deer you are likely to find where you hunt, NO?

Understand that the .45 is capable of shooting to a much longer range, than 50 meters, but the PRB, weighing only 125 grains, loses a lot of its muzzle velocity- 45% loss at 100 yds compared to the MV---. Conicals help out a bunch, but the ROT for a PRB limits ones choice on how long, and heavy a bullet the same barrel will spin adequately to stabilize it during flight. With the Lee, R.E.A.L. bullet, or the similar bullet made by Buffalo Bullet co. ( the "Ballets") you can get deeper penetration at longer range, although the trajectory will be the same or worse with the conical compared to a PRB. I look at the .45 caliber PRB as being a 50-60 yard hunting round. The .45 Cal. Concals extend the working range out to 150 yards, but after that the trajectory makes range estimation very important to avoid missing the game all together.

You can target shoot with 40-50 grains of powder in that .45, and use up to about 60 grains for a fast, hunting load with the PRB. To burn more than 60 grains of powder in your .45, efficiently, your barrel will need to be longer than 33 inches.60 grains of powder will give you close to 1700 fps.MV in that .45, so its nothing to sneeze at. If you use the Swiss powders, the velocity will be a bit higher.

I agree with GMWW...IMO the .45cal/128grn ball will take any deer that a .50cal or .54cal ball will take...the differentiator is that a lighter weight projectile places a premium on accurately judging distance as it relates to energy, and on patience waiting for precise shot placement.

If I'm hunting with a big .58cal/279grn ball and the only shot I have to the vitals of a good deer is a quartering away angle through the left ham from behind, I'll take the shot and get the deer.

But with a small lighter .45cal/128grn ball I'd have to wait for a better angle on the side to slip in behind the ribs forward into the heart, or broadside through the heart, or from the front through a chest pocket into the heart...and all at about only half the distances than with a big .58cal.

I have used the .45 quite a bit for deer, I liked to keep shot under 75 yds 50 would be better, anymore I place that limit no matter what gun I use, even before I went to smoothbores only.

60 grains of powder will give you close to 1700 fps.MV in that .45, so its nothing to sneeze at.

Methinks his barrel is 24 inches!

FWIW, my .50 Deerhunter only hits 1425 fps with 80 grains of goex 3f and a .495 ball.

I know many of you guys have whacked deer with .45 prb guns but it's just not my cup of tea. I've drawn the line at .50 for deer but it's really only based on my own preferences. Obviously many differ and have used it with great success.

Not all deer are created equal either. I use a .50 or .54 knowing that I may be lining up on a 300#+ Mule deer. Then theirs your South Florida whitetail vs your Canadian whitetail. Big differences :shocked2:

If memory serves, the Red Deer of Germany is equivalent to an North American elk?

marmotslayer said:
If memory serves, the Red Deer of Germany is equivalent to an North American elk?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_deer

If Wikipedia is to be believed, a .45 might be too small. It is equivalent to an elk (avg. weight of a stag 650 lbs. :shocked2: ). Didn't know they were that big. Still, your hunting regulations should address minimum caliber? And again, it's all about shot placement.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first muzzleloader was a .45 TC and I shot many deer with it. Some were out to 100 yards but these shots were always standing broadside. These were the larger bodied deer found in Saskatchewan Canada not the smaller deer we have here in Texas where I live now. I even shot a spike elk with it one season although 30 years later and I hope somewhat smarter I would not recommend a .45 for elk or any similar size game.

I'm presently building a .45 Isaac Haines flintlock and I hope to have it ready for this falls deer hunting. I've certainly never felt undergunned with a .45 for deer as long as you choose your shot carefully.

Hello,

thanks for the replies.
The game I'll use the deerhunter .45 with PRB is roedeer in most cases. They are not that big (field dressed about 40 lbs). For red deer I'll use it with conicals. I think a 240 grs maxi with 90 grs WANO PP will be good medicine for a red deer doe or calf.

Will give range report and hunting report asap.

Regards

Kirrmeister

IF YOU know where to aim, and IF YOU pick your shots, yes, you can kill wild boar, and feral hogs in Florida with a .45 PRB. But, those are huge "IF's". 'A .45 would not be my first choice for hunting these animals. If you only shoot the small ones, fine. But, I have seen large wild boars soak up a lot of lead, on two different hunts. Limit your shot to the brain, and know the anatomy well enough to position the brain behind an eye or ear for your aiming point. :thumbsup:

I shot a wild boar this spring here in Florida with my T/C Hawken .45 cal, at about 40 yards. Dropped in place. I used a T/C maxi-ball.

As said over and over, shot placement is more important than caliber.

Back