• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What GAUGE Smoothebore would you CHOOSE.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, like i said, my .12 ga double barrel shoots real good with the .690's. It will shoot 4 shots (2 from each barrel) into a group around 1" at 25 yds. Not bad for 2 barrels that have no rifling in them. And .690 is the size most manufacturers recommend for a .12 ga.

Thanks,Rebel,what do you think about the T/C new englander, kind of light gun , do you think after you pull the trigger you wish you hadn't? Killing at both ends so to speak?

Actually, they aren't bad to shoot. I had one before i got my double barrel. Nice gun really. My double weighs less than 7 lbs and i shoot 100 grs of RS powder with a rd ball out of it and it isn't too bad.

Whitetaildg
sounds like you could use a bess .
big lock , big bang , big smoke .
they are nice I've a couple. :thumbsup:

not really it feels less than my smokeless 12
black powder burns slower so you dont get that snap like with smokeless powder.
my be just me?

I've built 12ga,16ga,20ga and 28 ga. All have their place I think. 4 yrs ago I built a NW type gun using a Remington 870 barrel in full choke. Real nice for turkey. The 16 was a good'un too. I'm now thinking of a loooong barreled fowler and have given all gauges some thought. I like the "dainty-ness" if I can use that word, of the smaller gauges but they do have their drawbacks too.My best guess for all around use would be a 20. Curly used to make some neat thin barrels in 20 ga but more and more guys got to asking for a heavy barrel to use in roundball competition and it seems a lot of barrels now are awful thick at the muzzle. For the long barrel I want I guess Ed Rayl is about the only choice.Unless of course someone knows someone else making them.

Thanks Hawk2,everything is appreciated! Flinttim,

I am looking to buy a smoothbore around 12 gauge which is .729 which will shoot a standard size patched round ball good groups at 50 yards and will shoot #4 shot with a good pattern at 50 yards! I want the caliber to be somewhat standard so I can readily buy round balls and patches for. Single barrel, no rear sight, # 11 caplock ignition.. ANY THOUGHTS?

Thank You

Hey Gun Cobbler, I am looking to buy a smoothbore around 12 gauge which is .729 which will shoot a standard size patched round ball good groups at 50 yards and will shoot #4 shot with a good pattern at 50 yards! I want the caliber to be somewhat standard so I can readily buy round balls and patches for. Single barrel, no rear sight, # 11 caplock ignition.. ANY THOUGHTS?

Thank You

whitetaildg said:
Hey Hawk 2, Big Bang, Big Mule Kick to??

I ran a few 150 grain loads through my bess and the recoil wasn't any worse than a modern 12 gauge with a heavy field load in it...

I expected the bess to really thump me, but she didn't, it has enough weight to help compensate for the recoil...

Like it was stated before, the felt recoil is a study "push", not the massive rush you get from a 12 gauge magnum...

I am sure good round ball groups for Minute of Buck rib could be had in a musket,but the shot pattern would be tough to get even with tight choke in BP(the same choke would preclude using RB too tight). :winking:

I think that the Bess would do well...seems that the gentleman is drawn to the larger bore. Just remember the bigger bore don't shoot no harder. I think there is a previous topic that can be found in the search feature that covers the subject in debth.To make my point I can also report that my smaller gun will shoot 7&1/2 chilled shot completely thru a metal dog food can at seventy-five feet. Put 16 in the can and about as many in the neck and breast or lower neck. This is plenty of killing power but I will not shoot less than #4's. That's my rule and never beyond the maximum effective range for my gun...A bigger gun is good but it will not insure success. Clean kill is a well placed shot more often than not. Just my thoughts... :thumbsup:

Oh! General, next time...try burning the powder...saves you from all that huffing and puffing :grin:

I don't know, that's a tall order.Two things make it tall. Good patterns at 50 yds and still shoot roundball and a percussion cap ignition.Jim Chambers has a new fowler out in 12 ga (or 10 , not sure) and I'm not sure what lock it uses, but if it's one of his locks that is available in flint or perc you might be able to work out a swap of some sort.
Truthfully I would look at a double barrel shotgun (using your perameters). One in cyl bore would shot rb and shot and is a perc cap system.
Don't set your mind too hard on a certain size ball either. It is what it is, the gun will tell you what size ball you need and all sizes are generally available. Same on wads. I have a Pedersoli double in 10 ga. It actually more closely is an 11 ga and takes wds accordingly.
Or if all else fails, go for broke and get a flintlock. Lot's more choices in that anyway.

Thanks to you all Musketman,Spitfire,Flinttim,& Slippyfoote You guys got me really confused, I mean THINKING!! I really wanted an older smoothbore, but will probably end up with a T/C New Englander??

whitetaildg said:
I really wanted an older smoothbore, but will probably end up with a T/C New Englander??

That's OK too, nothing shabby about T/C's quality...

akapennypincher said:
What GAUGE Smoothebore would you CHOOSE if you could only have One Smoothebore. .28/.54 Caliber, or 20/.62 Caliber.

WHY
:thumbsup:

I am going to get a 12ga. barrel for my Underhammer..........WHY.........cause I have all the wadding for one! :grin:

I have had so much fun playing with loads for my 7ga. that a light 12ga. will be a joy to carry. :applause:

More Barrels! :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back