• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What gun for turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
Turkey season is just around the corner and it's time to decide what you will use for collecting your gobbler. Vote and post an explanation of your choice (pictures appreciated).

14ga.SxS loaded with 1 1/8oz. of #6, 75gr. of 2F Schuetzen. 75gr. of Shuetzen 2F Powder, one over powder card,1 1/8oz. of shot and then one over shot card. I do not use a cushion when I am looking for the tightest consistent pattern I need. Yes it will foul up, but no need to worry about one shot. Turkey was taken at 25yds. and acted like he was struck by lightning. Just one shot to the head and done deal.
2009Birda.jpg

If I make it to the woods it'll be a .62 cal smoothbore GM barrel mounted on a TC Renegade stock. It's the only BP gun I own that is legal to hunt Turkeys with. :redface: :shake: :bull: I will need to do something about that in the near future. :wink: My wife says we don't have enough guns and ammo anyway........ :grin: What a woman :thumbsup: :bow: :grin:

Just started. I use a 20 gauge fowler modified jug with 65 grns. 2F with four OS cards. About 75 grns. of "#5 magnum lead shot with one OS card. Patterns well. Three weeks to test it on live targets!

16 gauge with a jug choke, 80gr, 2f, about 1-1/2oz. of #4-#6 mixed shot. Why the mixed shot? Cuzz a fellow gave me about twenty-five pounds of it! :grin: I have taken turkey's with it before and after jug choking, but with the choke, it does pattern better and I feel more confident reaching out a bit further.
IM000655.jpg

Wish we could use muzzle loader rifles here, sure would like to try it! Good luck to everyone this season!!
Robby

Rifles are illegal in my state. I will hopefully be using a jugged 11 bore club butt stocked in curley ash.....If I get it built in time. The barrel is in the stock but not jugged yet and the stock still looks like a block of wood. :idunno:

Just the way timing worked out the past couple years, I've ended up with 2 smoothbores I need to christen on turkeys.
Got the .20ga first but never got a Tom in range last year...then the .28ga arrived a year later and is available for this spring too.

.20ga Early Virginia
80grn measure Goex 3F
Two Oxyoke wools wads + OS card
120grn measure #6s
Two OS cards

.28ga Early Virginia
90grn measure Goex 3F
.022" Oxyoke patch
.520" ball

Might try to use the Bess carbine.
Mike, what is the length of that 11-bore tube on your club butt fowler?
Dave, that is a mighty handsome 14 gauge you have there.
Robby, love your 16 too. And that's a nice banded horn!

20 ga. English flint fowler. Probably #6 shot because that is what I have and no one local sells shot so I can't buy #4 or #5. New gun, haven't worked up load yet. Will probably be 1 1/2Fg. Elephant, 60 to 70 gr. Yesterday was beautiful day, I should have been in my yard shooting. No excuses.

BTW: didn't I see this poll elsewhere also? :wink:

BillinOregon said:

My Bess patterns beatifully but my old, bum shoulders can't hold it up anymore. :(
Yes, there are several fine guns shown here.

10ga fowler i built from chambers new england fowler kit. improved cylinder jug choke, 2 1/4oz nickle plated 6's over 100 grn swiss 2F. this spring will be it's first year in the turkey fields. 8 weeks to go.

BillinOregon said:
46" with 1 1/4" breech.

10ga.12ga.62cal. smoothbores.. 1.5oz#6 hevi-shot and 1.5oz#5 chilled hard shot lead
85-100 gr. FF Goex...protective cups..hornets nest....wads,cards and ticking cups.....10 perc. 12,62 flint...
April 11 starts my week.Pauck-Pauck-Pauck-Pauck-Purrrrrr!

16 guage , jugged full, 70 gr FF, 90 grain measure of #5 nickel plated lead shot. 1/2 of a fiber wad over powder the other half over the shot.
IMG_0304.jpg

Really haven't settled on a smoothbore load as yet so I'll probably use:

.36 TVM flint SMR
.350" ball
30grns Goex 3F
ticking patch lubed with BB/grease

or

.40 TVM Lancaster flint
.390" ball
40grns Goex 3F
ticking patch lubed with BB/grease

Back