• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What has more effect on POI, muzzle velocity or recoil.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does a flattened trajectory from velocity increase have more effect on vertical sight adjustment or does increase recoil and subsequent muzzle rise?

Sounds like a Catch 22. To achieve the above, you have to increase the powder to get both..

I'll tell you what I know and think (believe?) 'bout that...

By the time the barrel starts to rise, the bullet is already far along its trajectory toward the target.
Bear in mind that everything is relative and that after a certain augmenting of the load, the recoil is too great, and the result is reversed: the recoil is strong, the bullet is too high, and dispersion reappears.
In any case, increasing the load for the same weight of lead influences recoil and POI. You need to find the right compromise between speed and load..

Does a flattened trajectory from velocity increase have more effect on vertical sight adjustment or does increase recoil and subsequent muzzle rise?
Well - it depends.

I've had 7 1/2" barrel unmentionable revolvers with a .44" bore in which the 'special' caliber shot to the identical point of impact as the longer 'not special' caliber. This was something Elmer Keith commented on in regards to that caliber as well.

I've had 4 5/8" barrel unmentionable revolvers in a .45" bore where the lighter loads impacted much lower on the paper due to less recoil.

Firearm weight, grip angle, barrel length, caliber, velocity - all are factors.

neither, as already stated the bullet has long since left the barrel before recoil starts.
However, they will both affect the follow-up shots.

From my own experience, testing the 45/70 cartridge iin a Sharps rifle a 405 grain bullet at 1200 fps strikes lower at 100 yards then a 500 grain bullet at 1200 fps. This testing was done with a chronograph from the bench on targets. Not a guess or opinion just real live fire. The rifle begins recoil at the moment the bullet starts moving. Same would apply to any rifle.

andy52, good video.

We agree that the recoil impulse begins at the first moment powder gasses are pushing on the base of the bullet.

What I'm saying is that how much muzzle flip actually occurs depends on the particular firearm.
The vid has a firearm whose design soaks up some of the recoil impulse - a single shot firearm or a firearm with a manually locked breech will not necessarily be able to do what is shown in the video.

I'm going to try and find a slow-motion video to support my view.

This vid shows a tiny amount of muzzle movement, but movement does start before the bullet leaves.
I'm going to try and find a slow mo video of some muzzleloading examples.

Notice too that the recoil motion continues after the bullet leaves but that is momentum because it takes time to slow the movement down. Physics don’t change even for firearms.

As Waksupi has said "The person behind the trigger will have the most effect." :thumb::thumb::thumb::horseback::ThankYou:

If the bullet was gone from the barrel before the weapon moved it wouldn't make any difference how the gun was held. Or even held at all. That isn't the case since different holds cause large impact changes. A loose one hand hold on my 1851 shoots high left compared to a tight two hand grip. If the bullet was gone before the gun moved there would be no difference.

I would think that a semi auto pistol with all its recoil and inertia functions will have a different recoil cycle than a ridged rifle. I don't think what we see in the video is the same as what we would see with a muzzle loading rifle. That's just a theory of course since I can't prove it.

I don't know anything about this but I think that a explosion inside of a container will move the weakest part of the container which in this case is the bullet. as it move a little recoil starts and builds up as the bullet travels down the barrel. when it escapes the barrel recoil is very apparent? Especially when you shoot a .458 Winchester round! LOL!

Back