• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What in the underlug?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeum54

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Started my monthly barrel swabbing this morning, 3rd gun i grabbed, (Cabela's investarms) the wedge key fell right out. Pulled the barrel to find this.
This gun hasn't been shot in close to ten years but it has been shot alot in the past. Every few months i pull most of my barrels just to check for rust and the last time i did this one it went in like normal. I fit all my wedge keys for a firm push with my thumb or just a light tap with a plastic hammer.

Looks like it just decided to give up and let go. Guess i have to dig out my dove tail jig and another underlug.

I currently have 8 investarms and between me and my dad we've bought, used and sold several others over the years and this is a first for me. Anyone else ever have this happen?

On a side note, my old investarms fancy hawken has a dove tail style lug, maybe they should have kept doing that 🤔
20241019_105449.jpg

Had the same thing happen to a gpr. You can solder it back on. I think the factory did some sort of weld. I tried to remove one once with heat and couldn't release it.

Maybe from gradual creeping corrosion.

Had the same thing happen to a gpr. You can solder it back on. I think the factory did some sort of weld. I tried to remove one once with heat and couldn't release it.

Maybe from gradual creeping corrosion.
Im a darn good welder, brazer, but soldering is my nemesis 😆 just always gives me fits. New dove tail probably best for me. I thought about gradual corrosion to but the break looks perfectly clean. Guess the gun just wanted some attention from me 😁

From the look of the barrel, it looks like solder. However the under lug looks like J B Weld. I have silver soldered several under lugs and ram rod pipes back on, the main thing is to get the area to be soldered squeaky clean and tinned.
Good catch. Looked at it under some better light and did a little poking with a screw driver and there is a little bit of JB on the barrel. Must of came off some time before my dad got it and that's how they fixed it. It held up pretty good considering how much my dad shot it back when he got it.

I do know they came spot welded from the factory. Here's a extra barrel i have in the white, with patina and you can see the blueish heat marks from the weld.
20241019_153516.jpg

Not sure what you have to work with, but it could be tigged on pretty easily and silver solder will work well too.
I wish I had a tig welder. I'm good with my mig and brazing but like I mentioned earlier, me and sloder have issues 😂 Found a dove tail style lug that will work, now I just need to find my dove tail jig. And with as much as my nieces have been bothering me lately, i might get it done in two weeks 😏

Latest posts

Back