• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is a ''belt pistol''?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good example of a Belt Pistol with a hook.......

The Spanish were big on these. They even made cavalry carbines with "Belt Hooks" on them.

lot0255-0.jpg

A belt pistol for one person might be considered a horse pistol for another.
:)

I suspect there is a defining quality that would settle it but I don't know what it would be.
Now if you were to dig out the various Colts it is easy enough to sort them out, but what of other makers? What of older pistols before Colts time?

A belt pistol is a pistol one may wear in relative comfort on their belt. To a man that is huge, a Dragoon or Walker could be a belt pistol and an 1860 a pocket pistol. {does that make a pocket pistol basically a derringer to that man?}

The 4th Musketeer said:
I was doing some research on different kinds of flintlock and percussion pistols and I came across the term ''belt pistol'' and I couldn't find out anything about them. Could anyone give me a brief explanation as to what they are and why they are called belt pistols. :idunno:
Any help is much appreciated.
T4M

For reference look at a Colt Walker, a horse pistol and the Dragoon is marginal for the belt, a 49 pocket and the 51 Navy "belt" pistol. Horse, pocket, belt.
Most large FL pistols were "horse" pistols. Pocket pistols are likely going to have barrels 4" or less maybe 5 max. A "belt pistol" can be anything up to a horse pistol but practically barrels over 8" start to get in the way.

Dan

Latest posts

Back