• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is a good pattern with a ML shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were to file on the cheaper chokes where would I need to file exactly?If the gun is shooting left,I would need to file on the left or outside part of the choke,right?I guess that I would need to mark the choke on the inside when screwed in tight and remove it for filing.Someone said from 7-11 o'clock position.How far down from the top edge would I file?An inch or less?I'm going to try other chokes before I file anything but if I still a
have POI issues,I may try it on one of the chokes.

I'll respectively bow out on those questions.
I've never personally tried the filing technique so I have no hands on experience with it / won't simply repeat what others have said or give you keyboard theory...already far too much of that on forums as it is.

Sounds like WesTex and/or DaveK may have actually done it and I suspect they'll chime in / elaborate soon...might want to wait for the answers from them before starting to file on something.

I'm terribly ashamed to confess I have never patterned my gun, I just hunt with it. My information on choke tube interchange is based on the fact the tubes from my Mossberg 500 fit the gun, and the interchange information. Just one of many sources for such tubes, this is on Carlson's interchange sheet:

Pedersoli
Interchanges with Carlson's Winchester, Weatherby, Browning Invector & Mossberg 500 style
threads

Here is the link:
http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-interchange-guide.php

Click on the "Mossberg 500" at upper left and you will see Carlson offers all kinds of different tubes. I have no experience, but on the extended tubes I would be concerned the extended portion on some of the bigger ones might be a bit too big to fit side by side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Ray, your assumption is correct...filing the left side will move the POI to the right. Rememebr we're talking about removing thousands of an inch to move pattern a very few inches. I've never tried filing the choke tube but can't see why it wouldn't work...particularly if it's virtually a "throw-away". I will point out again, go ssllloooowwwww! It's like cutting hair...you can take more off but can't put any back on! :thumbsup:

Thanks.Yea,I wouldn't put a file to my Pedersoli chokes.They are about 40.00 a piece and you can tell they are well made.The Pro Factor chokes have much thinner steel and I wouldn't mind terribly if I messed one up.I assume that I would use a flat file.It doesn't sound too complicated.I'll try it if the extra full Pedersoli choke is shooting left also.If it shoots ok,I'll just use it and not worry about the cheap choke.I guess you get what you pay for.I never thought about it till now but it might be a choke problem all along.I need to try different chokes in the left barrel and see what I come up with.I did have that one that I threw away.It was so bad that at twenty yards,there would only be about twenty pellets scattered on the paper out of over a hundred #6 pellets in 1 1/4oz load.

Oh yes, don't file anything till you check out patterns. Basically, it's a "last resort" thing!

I may be misunderstanding exactly were the filing would take place...I was thinking a round rat tail file would be better suited to gently working the round inside circumference / edge of a cylinder like a choke
:hmm:

The three guns I successfully did it to I used a 1&1/2" wide flat file and work on removing about .020" off the side I want to .0000" the opposite side. So for all intentions the muzzle looks flat still!
I then bevel evenly all around for loading ease and test.

When satisfied hone and polish. I don't blue, just polish regular or let it just tarnish a little.

B.

I'm guessing that you filed on the outside of the barrel since you used a flat file.I could see how a round or half round file would work on the inside of the barrel.I just hate the thought of taking a file to a new gun or choke.It just seems like the gun would already be shooting straight.Do modern guns have the same issues?

It is a shame that it is an issue. I have looked at many an old English gun and have often observed non-square muzzles! Obvious barrel regulation measures from the maker, time consuming yes and sadly it seems Pedersoli do not fuss over, possibly just relying on a jig/s for their doubles!
You would only be doing what a gun smith would do before any finishing work!
Double rifles are much more tricky due to greater range and a closer coincidence needed etc.
Do test it on a choke tube first, don't get to obsessive over it.....I bet more birds are taken by the edges of a pattern than the centre anyway!

B.

Yes sir...we call it 'shoot near'm not at'm"! :thumbsup:

Again, Ray, I'd like to advise you wait till you see what you've actually got before making a decision.

I must add gents....My guns back then were more than a foot off at about 30yds. I say about 30 but am not sure! I just test all my guns at that though!

B.

If they only have one tube, there's always the possibility of slightly bending the barrel. Doing it to a double would be like cutting diamonds with an emery board! :thumbsup: :rotf:

I'm not off by alot and that's why I will be cautious.If I was off by a foot at 30 yards,like Britsmoothy said, then I would be pulling the files out pretty quick.I'm happy that my right barrel seems dead on and it's the one I shoot first anyway.

Just a little friendly advice. Try using slightly oversized Over Powder Wads. Cardboard is not the best gas sealing device. Ergo, you might need to try oversized powder wads. Gas blowby will destroy patterns and also cause you to think that your gun is shotting off point. I use slightly oversized powder card wads in both my 10 and 12. My patterns tightened up and so did the point of impact. You should have no problem using a black powder shotgun in 12 or 10 gauge out to 40 yards.

Keep your powder dry my friend.

G

HistorianASU2010 said:
You should have no problem using a black powder shotgun in 12 or 10 gauge out to 40 yards.

Huh....

While I agree on the necessity and results with tight wads, I've NEVER had reliable 40 yard performance from any cylinder-bored muzzleloading shotgun, whether 12 or 10 gauge. Black powder breechloaders with chokes, sure.

In truth though, no shotgun, even a modern wonder with modern ammo is a 40 yard field gun for me, no matter what the pattern board sezz. :rotf:

I agree with G. My experience reflects his,or at least closer to it. It is still challenging though to shoot trap from the 16yd.line. Stationary targets out to 40yds. like turkey or patterning is no problem.

Back