• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what is hunting to you?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt for several reasons all at the same time. 1)I hunt for the solitude that can only be found in the woods. 2)to match my skills to that of the game. 3)To bring in food for the table.

Hello oneyedmountainman,

I think it would be nice if you could please refrain from the vulgar term of 'Hunting' and be more politically correct. I think Harvesting would be more in line with todays TV shows. Yes that's it Harvesting, I harvested a deer, or I harvested a turkey, now doesn't that sound so much better. I use to be a garbage man and now I am a politically correct Sanitary Engineer. She was a housewife and now she is a Domestic Engineer. See it just sounds so much nicer these days.

Like here in South Texas where hunting (oops) harvesting has taken on a new meaning. They have to sight their guns in at 70 yds, at a 45deg. angle :rotf: and the cost of the privelege to hunt (oops) there I go again, is between $3,000.00-$10,000.00 per deer. Yes I would most definitely say that they are harvesting the wildlife instead of hunting.

And one day they will call us 'patriotic individuals who uphold the constitution' instead of radicals.

have a great day

rabbit03

I heard a commercial on the radio yesterday talking about how good the meat was at a local grocery store..they called the meat cutters..meat associates.

Oh yeah I know right! It is all a lot of B_ll and we all know it. Claud won't let us get into the political thing here so I won't just sufice to say it is ruining our country!

rabbit03

Born in Michigan...Hunted white tails and rabbits with my dad long before I was of legal hunting age. Boy those Beagles are great for rabbit hunting. Lots of fun just walking through the woods. He liked to still hunt and sit in abandoned barns or homes. Most of the time a apple orchard was in view. We always hunted on Beaver Island. Its in northern Lake Michigan. Great place to hunt. Dad was born and raised on that island. So always great place to go. Summer or winter. I was old enough to hunt 2 seasons in Michigan before we moved to Texas. Never bagged a buck up there. Seen one doe and didnt have a permit for one.. :( Did shoot a few squirles and rabbits up there.

Now in Texas...Its a whole different game. Deer feeders filled with corn and deer blinds. The county I live in and am working on a deal for 10.8 acres you can shoot 3 bucks and 2 does :grin: I have done it both ways in Texas...deer blind and 200 yard shots off the front porch. Plus one person waiting and 3 or 4 people making a drive up a valley was always fun.

I quit hunting and put down my guns around 91 or 92. Picked them up again early this year. I plan on doing some hunting for whitetails this year with the smoke pole. First time ever. I have always used scoped centerfire rifles. Only thing im worried about is all those clicks a cap lock makes when you cock it. :shocked2: Deer can't see to good(except movement) but they can smell and hear very well..

I can see a smoke house and jerky and sausage in my near future...
62c94293.gif

Hmm, toughy. I spent a lot of time in the outdoors so I don't forget our (human beings) roots in the wild. I love to watch nature and try to figure out how it works. The difference between hunting and any other outdoor activity (even fishing, which I also love) is that you become not just an observer of nature, but a participant. You enter into the (to risk sounding cheesy) the circle of life. For me it's knowing where we came from, what made us what we are and what it is to be a part of the world in the most primal and intimate sense. It's not about making the kill, I love to go out and track/stalk all kinds of critters just to see how close I can get.

Back