• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is it and where can I find the parts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moconfed

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I purchased this at an auction several years ago and now have the time to work on it. Don't know exactly what it is. No markings except serial number under the front stock and on the inside of the lock plate. Been told it is a Whitney (pg 247 of Flayderman's 7th edition) or a Wesson. Photos
Would like to get it operational to use in Civil War Reenacting, shooting blackpowder only, no lead. Where can I find parts? I don't have the expertise to bring it back to life so I need some help.
Thanks
Dan

moconfed said:
Would like to get it operational to use in Civil War Reenacting, shooting blackpowder only, no lead. Where can I find parts? I don't have the expertise to bring it back to life so I need some help.
Thanks
Dan

Dan, why? It is doubtful that this type weapon was used in the ACW, but to each his own. As I'm sure you know, best to stick with something that is PEC (plain, every day, common). Still, it is interesting and restoring it will bring you a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction, wish I could help with a source for parts. Good luck.

Really? What kind of firearms were used? My understanding is a lot of the Missouri State Guards and Trans-Mississippi troops in the early days showed up with fowling pieces, shotguns and squirrel rifles. Where can you find one that you don't have to mortgage your home or give up a child to purchase. I'm talking about an old beater that still can safely belch out some noise and smoke that would have been PEC for the period.

moconfed said:
Really? What kind of firearms were used? My understanding is a lot of the Missouri State Guards and Trans-Mississippi troops in the early days showed up with fowling pieces, shotguns and squirrel rifles. Where can you find one that you don't have to mortgage your home or give up a child to purchase. I'm talking about an old beater that still can safely belch out some noise and smoke that would have been PEC for the period.

True, but the "fowling pieces, shotguns and squirrel rifles" would have been cheap and easily available. The gun you are looking at would have been a relatively expensive gun in those days, probably too expensive for the average stay at home "militiaman". State troops would have been armed with something better as quickly as possible.

It's a Whitney percussion shotgun, manufactured 1866-1869, so too late for Civil War period. There would have been identification markings on the barrel originally. Listed as being fairly scarce, and survival rates small. The barrels are made from reamed out surplus .58 rifle musket barrels. As for repair parts, probably non-existant.

Back