• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big John

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What is it about muzzleloading that attracts you? a)The sense of history? b)The beauty of the wood/steel? c)The idea that now i'm older I have time to have a hobby that is time consuming? d)I see a hobby that I can do? f)The sight and smell of a small "A" bomb you just made? or as I think... F)Want to know if my doctor is smart enough to come up with a cure for the BLACK POWDER DESEASE that causes me to only look/buy muzzleloaders at the gun shows all year long!

I was doing that much shooting with centerfires that I just wanted something different to shoot so I gave muzzleloading ago and I love It.

I like to build and construct... everything from a organic garden, bamboo fly rods, to flintlock rifles. I enjoy hunting with my BP rifles but no more than with my bow. Now... I do like target work, nothing better than out shooting a weekend slinger with a black SWAT t-shirt and 06.
Zero interest in the history, zero interest in PC, and unashamed of my milling machine and acraglas. :haha:

I like the creative aspect of building. Eventually that leads to shooting.

I also like collecting and shooting milsurps, mainly do to the fact that some person at some point of time could have used that instrament to preserve or take a life.....

forgive me if you've heard my tirade before... many years ago, when giants walked the earth, when men were men, and paratroopers were the only ones who wore berets, i somehow became jaded with centerfire... after all the thing went bang whenever i pulled the trigger and it had seemed that the magic had lessened.

then i bought a used T/C renegade in flint and, lo, took it to the range with a tacklebox full of odd stuff. everyone else at the range was chatting about 'head shots at a klick' and their latest AK variant (which was why i had become jaded in the first place) and i proceeded to load the flinter as the nice fellow at the store had instructed.

when the range went hot again, i put a 50 cal roundball through a 6" circle at 50 yards- hardly a feat of great marksmanship off a bench, but certianly in the 'kinda cool for the first time' realm.

what really hooked it was the 'wow, the damned thing actually launches lead' feeling. now that i've made thousands of shots with a wide variety of flinters and capshooters, you'd think i'd get over that feeling, but i haven't.

everytime, it's as though the doubt is removed and 'wow, the thing actually worked...'

there in an ineffable and irreplaceably personal quality to firing a muzzleloading rifle which is not, can not and should not be reproduced in the centerfire world. the pace of the shot is different, the style of the shot is different, and those who try to interfere with this difference only delude themselves and dilute the sport.

did any of that rant answer any of your question? or have i simply been awake too long?

anyhow, good luck

MSW

I like it for many reasons, most of which have been articulated by other people. The history is part of it. Also the beauty of the firearms, whether they are very ornate long rifles or plain mountain or plains rifles. They have a soul that is not present in modern cartridge rifle.

I also enjoy getting the best performance out of a projectal that has terrible areodynamics. To get decent performance you need to know the rifle far better than one would need for a cartridge rifle.

It also requires more shooting skill to fire one effectivly. There is no room for slack in technique when the firearm can have ignition delays for any number of reasons or can get as crabby about the weather as the old coots that shoot them.

I've been shooting them for thirty years and still enjoy it. I do have one center fire rifle left but haven't shot it in about 20 years. It's just not as much fun as the stinky old muzzleloaders.

I wanted them all my life,my dad was a gun man, had lots of guns,never owned a black powdder gun that I know of. I was raised with guns,he took me hunting when I was 4. I was 43 when I got my first one. It was a TC 54 hawken cap kit, I talked to him on phone the week I was puting it together,He died that week with out seeing it. I shot my first deer with it the next year(1983). I believe I shot them in another life as I just knew what to do on a lot of things about them. Would go to library and read on them and was right on track. All I use now for guns, got my 12 year old granson on to them,he has the first one I started with and I got him a 50 Bobcat too. I have more Guns and stuff then my Mule could pack now. Dilly

Must confess that I'm of the Fess Parker/Davy Crockett era and have been shooting/building/rendezvousing since I was 16 years old. Also enjoy immensely shooting my old Garand and 03A3 Springfield. That said, my best story is from teaching (read re-qualifying) a local Guard Unit with their M16's. As I watched the entire line shoot in-around-about a simple tin can at 100 yards I simply took my .45 flinter offhand and preceeded to 'headshot' that EC. I'm not military, ex or otherwise, but these guys needed a tune-up real bad...

Big John said:
What is it about muzzleloading that attracts you? a)The sense of history? b)The beauty of the wood/steel? c)The idea that now i'm older I have time to have a hobby that is time consuming? d)I see a hobby that I can do? f)The sight and smell of a small "A" bomb you just made? or as I think... F)Want to know if my doctor is smart enough to come up with a cure for the BLACK POWDER DESEASE that causes me to only look/buy muzzleloaders at the gun shows all year long!

It offers me an escape from this restraining reality I imprisioned myself in as an adult, link by link it binds me, forged from the very irons of modern life...

Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch...

A special hunting season and relaxed, economical shooting with something more related to a cannon... and where I can also easily control the amount of the boom!
Plus, when a shot isn't perfect, it's not the shooter's fault, it's the gun's! :winking:

Working with 'real' materials: antler, bone, horn, leather, rawhide, wood, copper, brass and steel.
All the things we make with plastic were made with stuff that is a lot more satisfying to work with.

It's all about the hunting aspect for me and I like building flintlocks to hunt with. There's just something I can't put into words about the feel of a slim long rifle hanging from my right hand. Especially the lite weight .58cal. I'm working on now. It really has a good feel to it.

I like the simplicity and pace of shooting. It reminds me to slow down, which not many things do these days. I also like that I can immediately adjust my loads to make the use of the firearm more efficeint, rather than having to fire batch of bad reloads then tumble, resize, reprime, charge, and seat a bullet, or having to pull bullets and reset them over a different charge.

I also like how it sounds when that big slow, .58 cal. minnie ball hits something. Like someone stated earlier, it feels like you are actually putting lead down range.

The fact that for hundreds of years, it got the job done in so manny situations, makes me think there was some wisdom in it all that we are somehow missing today and challenges me to test my salt against my forfathers.

Probably B) the look and feel of steel, curly maple and brass. IMHO an AK-47 is an ugly gun and so is a M-16 (too much plastic and such). I've found that shooting a flintlock or caplock is more relaxing and comforting than blazing away with a cartridge gun. Any fool can buy a hundred rounds of .223 and shoot it off in just over a minute or two, heck I've done it a few times myself :rotf:

I'm one of those shifyt-eyed paranoids.

#1 Muzzle loaders are non NFA guns.
#2 I can make all the consumables without special equipment (beyond a "Tap-o-cap" for my caplocks)
#3 I like to annoy people, so I show up with a Stainless Steel Assault Flintlock whenever it is most inappropriate. (at Full Auto shoots or PC rendevous... :winking: )

I was loving my cowboy single action revolvers..there was just somethin cool about loadin them up shootin and then unloadin them...then I took my kids to shooting sports and they liked muzzleloaders....me too...I like the smoke...the BOOM and all that goes with it

slake, reload those old wheelguns with some bp loads. just more of a pain to clean. also have to soak your brass to prevent corrosion. worth the extra effort when they ROAR!

Latest posts

Back