• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is "jug choking"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Sarge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What exactly is jug choking? I'm new to BP shotgunning and have a New Englander I just picked up a 12 ga barrel for. It is a cylinder bore. Can it be jug choked to modified and how does this work. Can a PRB be used in a choked bore? Thanks in advance for the expert advice I know I will be getting.

Tom

That's when you squeeze jugs too hard. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

OK, more seriously, it is reshaping the bore near the muzzle over at least a couple inches so that the bore opens up briefly then closes down again. This turns a cylinder bore into a choked gun. It is an art and some folks are very good at it.

"jug choking", is a process of reaming out a barrel at the front The widened out area is about 2 1/2" long.

The idea is that the shot charge expands into the widened area, then is constricted down to the smaller diameter part of the barrel ahead of it, thus providing (or increasing) a choke.

Roundball shoots prb's in his jug choked guns.

Couldnt put it better myself, my 20 gauge barrel does wonders with the choke I have on it. Its midway from full and modified. Will put most of the pellets (90-95%) on a sheet of poster board. Round balls I havent had A chance to shoot with, I had the wrong ball size.610 will let you know once I go to the range and shoot the .600 balls I have.

nw_hunter said:
Roundball shoots prb's in his jug choked guns.

Need to clarify this...

I've 'shot' PRBs through jug choke barrels but the limited tests I've run have produced unacceptable accuracy for me and based on that vs. the time & expense of continued testing...I have no plans to ever use PRBs in them...I only use them like a shotgun with shot loads.

These guys summed up the the jug choke process pretty good.
Personally I only trust Briley in texas to do any shot barrel work for me, because most people do free hand reaming with out guides. Briley uses guides from one end of the barrel to the other end with the most precise equipment on the market.
I once saw a guy take an adjustable hand reamer to a barrel and jug choke it, I personally dont approve of this free hand work. Remember it only takes a few thousandths to be off and then it prints your shot pattern off.
Now for the percentage of a pattern?
The Industry standard for a Full choke is 70% of any given shot size to shoot into a 30" circle at 40 yds. This does not mean shooting at a sheet of paper only once. You have to shoot at 10 sheets of paper with the same shot load to come up with an average. Even 5 tests will not be a true percentage, trust me on that note. The last pattern test I did was last week on a Pigeon grade Win Model 12 with a Briley Mod choke. It was tested five times, I still have to perform 5 more tests or the percentage will not be true. Now in that 5 round test the low was a 67% and the high was a 91%. This big split is why the industry standard is done with 10 test shots in order to be gospel. Patterning is an art and science. It is also very time consuming to do it correctly, which is why most people dont pattern correctly and come up with percentage numbers that are incorrect.

Can it be jug choked to modified
A lot of men with T/C 12 gauges have screw in chokes installed. 12 gauges are a little thin to jug choke. Heavy barrels are jug choked.

I would think that the 12 ga. on a modern New Englander should have plenty of meat to jug to modified. Less removal of material than for full.

Back