• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the deal with the fouling ring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't let it dry; it's not milk any more if you do. I pre-punch stacks of patches which I store in prescription containers. I add lube just before heading to the range by squirting a dose of detergent down the inside of the container full of patches, (you could use moose milk for this) then fill the container with water, and squish the stack of patches a few times to squeeze out the air and work the soap/water mixture to completely wet the patches. At the range, I take out a few at a time and squeeze all of the water I can out of them before loading. There is no danger regarding wetting your powder doing this. The barrel is effectively wiped clean with each load, and I have never had to clean my gun between rounds. For any situation when your gun may need to stay loaded for an extended period, (hunting?), a greased/oiled patch is fine because you most likely won't shoot more than a couple of rounds.
So I went to the range today and swabbed between each shot with a patch dampened with moose milk. In addition I took your advice and loaded with damp patches. The results were dramatic. The fouling ring was all but non-existent and accuracy was outstanding! Thanks for your advice!!

So I went to the range today and swabbed between each shot with a patch dampened with moose milk. In addition I took your advice and loaded with damp patches. The results were dramatic. The fouling ring was all but non-existent and accuracy was outstanding! Thanks for your advice!!
Tony I got range time yesterday and it was very humid. This played h..l with fouling, heavy and slightly gooy. I thought it might be powder brand and type so I switched to schutzen 3f not any better. Accuracy was poor and low which was a big difference from a week ago. I also got the worst crud ring I have ever seen! Swabbing between was not much better, and this was the same powder that I used prior time, I even broke my range rod and I had not done that before. I crowned the bore and polished the bore with coarse valve grinding compound and oiled scotch bright loaded my slide rod and loaded a patched ball for checking for tares. Tapped the ball out with slide rod to check patch integrity, much better no tares so range time again soon.

Tony I got range time yesterday and it was very humid. This played h..l with fouling, heavy and slightly gooy. I thought it might be powder brand and type so I switched to schutzen 3f not any better. Accuracy was poor and low which was a big difference from a week ago. I also got the worst crud ring I have ever seen! Swabbing between was not much better, and this was the same powder that I used prior time, I even broke my range rod and I had not done that before. I crowned the bore and polished the bore with coarse valve grinding compound and oiled scotch bright loaded my slide rod and loaded a patched ball for checking for tares. Tapped the ball out with slide rod to check patch integrity, much better no tares so range time again soon.
Coupe, When I swabbed with a damp patch I could feel the fouling ring. After running the patch up and down a couple of times the ring was no longer felt. I use Schutzen powder also.

Tonyc I had patch ripping going on too so once home and cleaned I repolished the crown and polished the bore. 50 strokes with an oiled rag filled with coarse valve grinding compound, followed by 25 strokes with oiled scotch bright then 25 strokes with new scotch bright. I made sure to exit the bore on every stroke to also polish the crown to a finer finish. Put in my slide rod a patched ball n looked for excessive stress on the patch. Seem ok shooting will tell.
Coupe

Back