• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the going price for scrap lead?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penrosepete

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the going price for scrap lead? I just paid 1.75 per lb. Thought it was a little high, but they had a lot of it, better get while I can.

The last scrap lead I bought was $.85 a lb.It was old lead pipe, very near pure. :idunno:

What is the going price for lead?I just paid 1.75 a pound for 50 lbs. it was lead pipe, thought is was a little pricey but they have a lot of it so I will be going back.

Well this is the second time you've asked this,,
Don't panic dude, you didn't get burned, you didn't get hurt paying what you paid.
There will always be others that get it "free", and there will be a bunch more that get it better,,

I paid a buck a pound a few years ago,, cleaned it, packaged it and sold some for 1.25,, should have heard those guy's that bought it squeek!!
Rotol metals pure lead is selling for $2.99 on sale plus shipping today. https://rotometals.com/lead-mini-ingot-pure-99-9-1-pound/?gclid=COHtgKy7z9ECFR24wAodNwIGtA

Last edited by a moderator:
You can go online and check daily scrap prices....local scrap yards will also tell you...
Today's price is running between .60 and .70 cents/pound....
My local scrap yard charges me 20% above the going price, so I'm still paying less than a dollar a pound.....It's actually more profitable for them to sell it locally that to ship it out....lead is heavy....

colorado clyde said:
My local scrap yard charges me 20% above the going price, so I'm still paying less than a dollar a pound.....It's actually more profitable for them to sell it locally that to ship it out....lead is heavy....
:bull:
You ain't buying. It's supposition,,
You can see here it's over a buck a pound,, and "tonnage" brings a better futures value. http://www.kitcometals.com/

It all depends on where you are in the purchasing chain....
The guy who finds lead and wants to sell it sells it to a scrap yard (for pennies).that scrap yard then sells it to one of the large exporting scrap yards that the commodities price is based on....
Resellers like Rotometals buy lead on the open market at market price and "standardize" it into products for manufacturing companies to buy...Like a round ball manufacturer that turns it into balls....

The farther down the chain you are the higher the price you pay....
and "tonnage" brings a better futures value.
My local scrap yard gets at most 500 pounds a year.....

Scrap lead is always priced lower than known alloy ingots. If it doesn't matter to me about the purity, I buy scrap for about $1.00 per pound then have to melt, flux, skim, cast and test the hardness of ingots made from it. In the end I save nothing! and in fact usually pay MORE than buying known purity/alloy from a supplier like Rotometals. I am retired, so my time is worth what I bill it out for, essentially, $000. Some of you are gainfully employed and the effort to salvage scrap is not worth the time and aggravation. At $2.50 per pound delivered, 100 .50 caliber balls cost about $7.50 worth of pure lead, about half of what Bass Pro Shop sells them for here locally.

colorado clyde said:
It all depends on where you are in the purchasing chain....
Yeah right.
I live in 100 miles from a a large metro,, in a small to medium sized community.
Our 2 scrap yards are not foolish enough to be outside the food chain,, they never have been.
They both get several tons each year.
Welcome to a global market.

Your one of those that "always gets it cheaper"
Good for you.

I actually turned down a free bucket of lead wheel weights a couple weeks ago... :doh:

Probably not my smartest decision.....but, it came with "strings" attached.

necchi said:
Rotol metals pure lead is selling for $2.99 on sale plus shipping today. https://rotometals.com/lead-mini-ingot-pure-99-9-1-pound/?gclid=COHtgKy7z9ECFR24wAodNwIGtA[/quote]

I buy from Rotometals and yes, it's high if you only buy a single 1 lb ingot. But if you get a more reasonable amount at a time (today if you buy 45 lbs in 5 # ingots) it's $2.34# shipped to your door. If one is on their mailing list, they have several special deals on top of their sales each year. In the end, still more than scrap lead, but I always worry about the purity of scrap. :idunno:

It doesn't matter to me about the purity of scrap lead; I use it in my smooth bore guns.
I have .75 & .62 caliber guns I shoot round ball in. I can go through a lot of lead.
The lead for my smooth bores don’t need to be pure.

William Alexander

I lucked out a couple of weeks ago. I had plumbers out to clean out a line to the septic tank. My son in law and I were doing some casting while they were here. One of the plumbers asked me where I got my lead. I told him I tried to find scrap or occasionally hit up local scrap yards. He told me to come by their shop that is only about a mile and a half from the house. They had about 30-40 pounds of lead that their recycler did not want to take. Score! It was free. My usual luck is to pay.

I have since been able to stock up on some lead, but about two years ago I was getting low and having a hard time finding lead cheap. I paid $1.50/lb. at a salvage yard for some pretty clean lead pipe.

I have at least 300lbs of rotometal lead in my shed right now. I only buy it when it's on sale. That being said I will never pass up a free lead score. I work in telecommunications and found this at one of our sites the other day.
20170113_165722.jpg
[/img]

The telephone cable sheathing that I've dealt with has other things in it, like tin antimony, and copper. The choices for dealing with it are to flux that stuff back IN, or simply skim it off the top. It seems to separate as the temperature is coming up, so stirring with a ladle and adding cold metal causes further separation. Generally, I "smelt" in a dutch oven where I skim, and then cast from an electric pot (Lee or Lyman) where I skim (again) anything that floats to the top. While the resultant mix is not pure, and a bit harder than pure, it works well enough in my rifles. A .605" PRB from my .62 flattened to 7/8" x 15/16" as recovered from the off shoulder of a heavy WT I took this past season.

I just smelted some lead sheet that had been coated on one side with tar. While that was a nasty job, it was worthwhile. I can't say for certain what or how much was skimmed other than that stinky tar, but I'll get a better idea after casting from the electric pots. It doesn't "ring" when dropped, so a good sign.

Stick-on wheel weights are soft enough for PRBs if skimmed as mentioned above. Clip-on WWs might be better in smoothbores.

Back