• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is this 50cal worth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two options - the first is to sell it for around 200 dollars, and spend the money on a weeks supply of groceries or a few tanks full of gas (it would sell for twice that this side of the pond). The second option - for this rifle is NOT in poor condition, it needs a little TLC cosmetically - spend a weekend cleaning the gun up, together with your boy. Get into Black Powder shooting with him. I'm sure that in years to come his Great - grandfather's rifle will be a prize possession in his gun room.

It is of poor condition and I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the bore has not been cared for and is rusted as well. The price of $150 is at the top end for this relic --- . Let's say that someone bought it for $150 had it rebored, and the outside rust removed and re-blued or "antiqued" he is now most likely up to $450 for a not-so-great gun -. If you find a "sucker" er - I mean buyer for your inflated price of $350 - $400 good for you - you just ripped off that poor unsuspecting buyer who will be cursing your name for a LONG time. But - you don't care you got your money and dumped a pile of manure on someone else - good for you!
Fix it up and keep it - save your money to get that family member the rifle he wants or the one YOU want him to have.
Zug,
I suggest you read the OP’s post again, he didn’t suggest a price.

These guys telling you 100-150 are giving you a load lol.

You won't pick them up for that these days, they are long over.

I'll assume the bore is rust/pit free?

I can see some rust on the exterior which isn't a huge deal.

I'd say $250 to $275 is a fair price for both parties.

If you parted it out on ebay for example, the complete stock would most likely sell in the $200 range.

Zug,
I suggest you read the OP’s post again, he didn’t suggest a price.
OH -- HE WAS LOOKING FOR A PRICE -- I quote "She wanted me to sell it if possible and I knew this would be the place to ask. I'd like to find out and sell it to a member here honestly. Any help is greatly appreciated."
Enough said - have a happy Fourth!

OH -- HE WAS LOOKING FOR A PRICE -- I quote "She wanted me to sell it if possible and I knew this would be the place to ask. I'd like to find out and sell it to a member here honestly. Any help is greatly appreciated."
Enough said - have a happy Fourth!
Strange, most sellers look for a price, but he was looking not suggesting $400 or so dollars as you mistakenly asserted.

??? - I said $150 or maybe I said a false price of $400 -- Nope I said "The price of $150 is at the top end for this relic" You are mistaken - I looked back at my post! :thumb: . I don't know where you got me saying that $400 dollar price - I will stick with my original comment - thank you.

It's worth what someone will pay and not one centavo more. This forum is a great place to sell = no b.s. fees, etc. We just pick a number, post an appropriate set of photos with identifiers and ..either it sells or it doesn't. (following all state, federal,local laws of course). This particular gun just ain't my bag, but once posted, it will get a lot of lookers for FREE. Good luck whatever you choose.

poor condition and I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the bore has not been cared for and is rusted as well.

The rifle is not in "poor condition".Read the original post.: "The bore looks great."

i'm presently involved in restoring a Cabela's percussion "Hawken style" rifle that i found in a pawn shop. Rifle will go to my grandson when finished.

Yep, i'm that Okie Hog.

Last edited:
Your opinion - and it's not a SNARKY comment that I made it's my OPINON because of what I see in the pictures. I am being HONEST with my comments. You should not be blowing smoke towards the OP by giving him bad info. Time and labor is money - you want to waste your time and labor on some old poor condition rifle that has minimum value be my guest - I have better things to occupy my time on! :horseback:
No you’re not. Just snarky.

Watch adds on this forum I see several very similar guns for sale on here fairly often,sounds like from your post you shoot percussion revolvers? If so you probably have powder and caps on hand, why don't you and your son clean it up a bit and shoot it ? It's not a rare or high end gun so not worth a lot of $$ however if it was my great grandfather's gun it would be worth much more then the $150.00 - $300.00 that most folks are pricing it,if you and your son are not emotionally attached and still want to sell, the the rifle won't loose any value from cleaning up and shooting probably gain a little value from cleaning up.

Not only that, it's a family gun. Learn it and shoot it with your boy.
Great idea. Great gun to learn on and you don't have to worry about banging it up. Go have some fun with it and if you feel like restoring back to near new condition, there's plenty of people here who can talk you through it.

??? - I said $150 or maybe I said a false price of $400 -- Nope I said "The price of $150 is at the top end for this relic" You are mistaken - I looked back at my post! :thumb: . I don't know where you got me saying that $400 dollar price - I will stick with my original comment - thank you.
Nope, you said, ‘’ If you find a "sucker" er - I mean buyer for your inflated price of $350 - $400 good for you - you just ripped off that poor unsuspecting buyer who will be cursing your name for a LONG time. But - you don't care you got your money and dumped a pile of manure on someone else - good for you!’’

Good for you, now I suggest that you read your own posts.

I'm trying to gather up enough money to buy my son's first rifle. A Rossi 92 in 38/357
ouch! long way between the cva and that Rossi.
list the CVA here for 250.00 and someone will come along. they are great shooters.
I would Hazzard that CVA is responsible for a huge portion of us old guys getting into BP back in the dark ages.

Last edited:
Back