• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This pistol is from Dad's collection. The barrel is stamped "Colt, NY" and some other writing that I can't read due to wear. It is a 36 caliber. Can anyone give me an idea about its possible model or history? Here's a link to my photo gallery so you can view it.

Link

Thanks

The trigger and trigger guard strongly suggest that the gun in question is a double action pistol.

Looking through my "Flaydermans Guide" I don't see where Manhattan or Metropolitan Arms (both of whom made copies of Colts pistols) ever made a Colt copy that was double action.

Colt also never made a double action pistol during the Cap and Ball era.

J. M. Cooper & Co, Philadelphia, Penn did make a double action copy of the Colt open top pistols. The frame, trigger guard and trigger look very much like the photo in "Flayderman's Guide".

During the 1850s-1864 Cooper made a .31 cal pocket pistol which looked very much like a Colt 1849 except for the very large trigger guard and the double action trigger.
From 1864 thru 1869 Cooper & Co made a .36 caliber 5 shot pistol they called the Navy Model. This pistol looks a great deal like the Colt 1862 Pocket Navy (not to be confused with the 1861 Colt Navy with its streamlined round barrel).
They produced about 15,000 of these.
The cylinder did not have the roll engraved cylinder of the Colt and the barrel was marked,
"ADDRESS COOPER FIRE ARMS MFG. CO. FRANKFORD PHILA. PA/PAT JAN 7, 1851 APR 25, 1854 SEPT 4, 1860/SEPT,1, 1863 SEPT.22, 1863 (three lines).

The relief in front of the cylinder is fairly large for elongated bullets and, like the Colt 1860 Army and Colt 1861 Navy it extends thru the area making loading from both sides possible.

The barrel in the photos does not look like the Cooper barrel and it is possible that it was taken from a Colt 1851 Navy.

There were many copies of Colts made in Europe, some actually liscensed (the "Brevet" Colts). Most do have European proof marks, and some do have manufacturers' ID on the barrel. Might check for those, however w/ the "Colt NY" stamp it may be an outright patent infringement copy. Colt did actively pursue patent infringements. Lot of discrepancies from a real Colt, like the large triggerguard & trigger, screw in the recoil shield, etc. Would like to know what that screw is doing in the lower part of the recoil guard.

Forgetful Jones:
Thanks for pointing that screw out to me. :)

I don't know what it was for but, that screw is identical to the screw that is shown in Flayderman's Guide (9th Ed) on page 356 on the J.M. Cooper Navy Model Revolver.

If I had to guess at the screws purpose I would say it might be a part of the double action mechanism.

I believe I can say with some certainty that the frame and cylinder are Cooper's and someone has replaced the barrel with a Colt 1851 Navy barrel.

I think it's a pocket size revolver--maybe .31 caliber? Could be the barrel assembly from an 1849 Colt pocket model was used as a replacement when the original was lost or ruined.

Thanks for taking your time to reply to my post. I've been thinking about selling it but was not sure what it was. Based on your research I was able to find information on the Cooper Pocket Revolver and the pictures and descriptions seem to match. Based on the info you helped me find it is a Second Model with serial number on the straps and frame being in the 5000 range. I did mispeak when I said it was a 36 caliber. On closer inspection it is a 31 caliber. The barrel is not original being of Colt origin. It is a double action. Thanks again for your assistance.

Send pic and info to NRA, as it is unusual, bet they would like to feature it with info, value and etc.

Latest posts

Back