• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What should I buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have purchased a TC Hawkin perc. .50.
What groups well? TC maxi-ball or maxi-hunter?
What bullet weight is best?
What black powder is best for this? FFG or FFFG?
I would imagine that some of you shooters cast your own bullets to keep the sport affordable, so what mold would you use? Anyone had good luck with LEE REAL bullet mold or is there a Lyman that is better?
Thanks for any help, probably mor questions later!

Bob

Bob,
Most people use 3F powder up to 45 cal. and 2F for 50 cal. and larger rifles. This is just a general "rule" though. All muzzleloaders have different likes and dislikes. If you have one or the other (2F or 3F) try it out. Remember to start with a lighter load with 3F, it burns faster with the smaller granulation. I have had real good luck over the years with the Lee REAL molds in .45 and .50 caliber. Since the molds are aluminum you have to treat them a little gentler than a steel mold block but with care they should last a lifetime and you can't beat the price.

Bob"
As you asked about bullets most of them up to about 400 grain weight will shoot ok as long as you don't use a jacketed bullet in a plastic Sabot.
Solid lead is the type to use.

For more fun and less expensive shooting don't give up on a patched roundball.
A .490 or .495 diameter pure lead roundball patched in a good cotton material that is .015-.018 thick will usually outshoot the bullets and they are more than adequate for deer hunting.

Not only do patched roundballs cost a lot less, the recoil is very mild.

Lee bullet molds are great buys for their price.
I have them in .440, .490, .530 roundball as well as some for casting bullets for a few cartridge guns.
Because they are inexpensive and they include the handles they are a great value.

Bob
I have a 50 cal. Renegade that shoots both 370 gr. maxi-balls and patched roundball extremely well. and like Zonie said, patched ball is inexpensive and a joy to shoot. :thumbsup:

Fortunately you've purchased a gun that makes such decisions fairly easy.

The T/C Hawken barrel is a 1 in 48 twist, which will shoot maxi-balls, maxi-hunters, minie balls and patched round balls pretty much equally well, so any should work, depending on your target/shooting requirements.

The .50 caliber bore and 27 1/2" barrel length will use either ffg or fffg; again, your target/shooting requirements can determine the final choice.

As with any bp rifle (or pistol or revolver or shotgun, for that matter) you need to do some testing to determine which choice your gun likes best for the particular usage you have in mind. That's a good thing; it's a built in excuse to go shooting! On the other hand, with the compromise in twist rate and caliber you can't really make a bad choice if you just pick one and stick with it. That's also a good thing.

Contrats and enjoy!

dustystones said:
What black powder is best for this? FFG or FFFG?
Thanks for any help, probably mor questions later!
Bob
Bob,
Please keep in mind that this is just me,but
I use 3fff Goex in all my rifles from .32 to
.54cal. I don't have anything larger than that.
I keep my charges on the low end of the scale,
and never had a problem.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Hi Bob,

You're getting good advice here, either 2f or 3f will work and either prb or lead concicals will work. You have purchased a good little hunting rifle.

For me, I always enjoyed the ritual of the patched roundball. I've shot the conicals too and have one T/C Renegade in .54 that loves a 425 grain Buffalo bullet over 100 grains of powder - but the roundball is more than adequate for deer.

Have fun and keep us posted -

:hatsoff:
Spot

Hi Bob
What no one has said yet is that in a .50 or .54 and maybe .58 caliber if you are using 3f powder use 10-15% less 3f then you would use with 2f. Me I stay around 15% less 3f and always round down. Just me but it works in my TC's I have them from .32 up to and including .54 and it works for me.

Latest posts

Back