• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What sideplate can I use with an L&R Late English?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenHawken

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a lefty flintlock with an L&R Late English lock and I want to put a sideplate on it to add a second mounting bolt. The rifle is a fullstock Hawken with a Hawken style single teardrop inlay.

Looking at TOTW's lefty options they have two for L&R locks: English Durs Egg & John Bailes. I like the Durs Eggs plate, will either of these fit?

Take to office & make a Copy on a the copy machine, & then cut it out, punch the holes with a paper punch & lay it over the rifle. That will tell you of it will work. TOW photos are supposed to be full sized on things such as Locks, Sideplates, Buttplates, & T/Guards, etc.

Keith Lisle

Hi Steven,
You could also just add another round, tear-drop or similar shaped washer where the front bolt would go. A tear drop positioned horizontally might look very nice. That might be more in keeping with your Hawken style.

dave

Dave Person said:
Hi Steven,
You could also just add another round, tear-drop or similar shaped washer where the front bolt would go. A tear drop positioned horizontally might look very nice. That might be more in keeping with your Hawken style.

dave

I thought of that too. I'll see about printing out the TOTW images.

As for the sideplate question, you're kinda in unchartered territory there. There aren't any St. Louis Hawken flintlocks in existance, at least no known ones. Who knows if they ever used a sideplate, or always used the single bolt and escutcheon. There may some Hawkens with double bolt sideplates currently existing, but people seldom take pictures of that side of the gun. Sounds like you're on your own deciding on a style of sideplate.

I'm thinking something simple, inlayed flush with the wood. Something that would match the style of the rest of the hardware on the gun.

Or, just use the one bolt. Bill

Latest posts

Back