• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What sights do you use? Primative, Colored, Painted, Fiber Optic?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hockeyref said:
My question is especially to those with "aging eyesight"

In case this might be something you can use, I'll mention that while in my 60's, I'm lucky that my eyesight continues to be balanced for both eyes, and I've yet to need actual prescription glasses, being able to do fine with drug store reading glasses, bumping up an increment every couple years...currently up to +2.50 diopter for reading.

And along that same line, as the sights have become softer looking, I've been able to use full size drug store glasses of +1.0 diopter that sharpen the sights enough yet still allow distance vision without distortion while hunting...and if not this year, probably next year I'll bump up to +1.25 diopters.

The added side benefit of using the full size glasses both at the range and for hunting is some degree of eye protection from debris coming out of the pan...and after using one pair for year round shooting was shocked to notice how pitted they were becoming from all the shooting debris which otherwise would have been reaching my eyes.

makeumsmoke said:
IMG_1057.jpg

Dan, FYI...noticing the muzzle guide on the ramrod, if its of any interest with respect to weight and noise, while not "HC" Muzzleloader Builders Supply carries muzzle guides exactly like that except they're made out of light weight, noise free nylon...type muzzle guide in the search box here:
http://muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/cgi-bin/mbscart/agora.cgi

Last edited by a moderator:
My flinters are for deer hunting the primitive season after Christmas here in PA. I don't attempt to make them traditional and I use fiber optics and mostly fast twist barrels. I really like the fiber optic sights because most of the shooting comes in reduced light from overcast days,heavy snows or dawn or dusk shooting opportunities.

I use the RMC fibers on some and the TC on others. I kind of like the TC rear sight because it's click adjustable and the others are not. They are quick and accurate and they don't glow too much like others have said. After they are a few years old they don't glow much at all and I don't get them contaminated with oils and such.

I use a 6 o'clock hold for all open sight shooting.

The rear sight on my Ped. sortajaeger had a very small V (lots o fuzzyness), that was also too high. I had to move my head around to find it when shouldering the gun.
I like peep sights, but didn't want to spend the bucks for drilling and tapping and the bulky look.
So, I came up w/ this, I found a piece of angleiron the correct thickness and drilled a hole lower than the open sight and started filing.
After a few hrs and lots of trial fitting it's almost done.
Yes I know it's crooked, but what do you expect w/ using some needle files and the first one. :idunno:
BTW the hole is .200", seems good for a hunting gun.

1-2-10006.jpg

I just had to keep this close to the top for a question.
Does anyone know where I can get a fiberoptic (green preferably) front sight w/ that wide base and .375" dovetail in differing heights?
All I can find are the regular rifle sights w/ the narrow base, they look a lil funny w/ the wide dovetail in the barrel. Thanks.

My eyes have never been all that good. I find that a Glenn McClain front sight is a big help. He makes one with a thin white line that is inletted into the front sight. So the front sight is black iron with a vertical, thin white line. Couple that with an overlarge rear notch so I can gauge how much light is on both sides of the front sight and I have a sight pictures that still allows me to surprise much younger shooters.

Many Klatch

This being the Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting subform I opt for a sight traditional to the style of gun I am using when discussing sights here and I also happen to use that type for all my shooting as well.Basicaly the type of sight that belongs on the type of gun is about as easily explained as it can be.

For my use I prefer a brass front sight with a v notch rear. I keep a piece of green scotch brite pad in the patch box or kit bag. Shine her up for a morning or evening stand or schmutz it with a bit of pan fouling to dull it for paper or bright light. Real versitile and traditional. Except for the scotch brite..... A square of leather and some dirt rubbed into it would be a P-C substitute for scotch brite if a person would be so inclined. BJH

Back