• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do after draw filing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walter lynn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
You folks have been so helpful with my TOW kit, thanks. Have just finished the draw filing stage with your help and am wondering what to do next. Do I take it to a polished finish with fine, super fine and steel wool or just leave it as is? Thanks again for all your help. Could not have done it without you. This has been an absolute blast to say nothing of an ego-enhancer. Cannot believe I've done this!

"Cannot believe I've done this!"
Think that's exciting? Wait till you're done building it and go out to shoot it!!!

That all depends on the finish you want. I like to get all the file lines parallel with the barrel & this way they don't stand out when you brown it. If you are browning it 320 grit is adequate, use the emery paper on a block of wood as not to round off the flats. If bluing it you need to work it down to a 1000-1500 and if leaving it in the white you can stop at a finishe 600 grit. Just depends on how you want it to finish up......

:thumbsup:

Back