• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what to use for flint leather?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckarcher

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I remember when you used to buy a pack of flints that a flint leather was included. However, they dont do that anymore and I would like to buy some leather to cut up to make some. Any suggestions on the thickness or poundage that I should order? Thanks.

Look in the scrap bin in your local leather store. I like leather that is soft as opposed to stiffer veg-tan or latigo. It seems the fluffy side grips the flints well.

Somewhere between 4oz and 7oz leather with a fairly soft temper should do the trick. Some of my guns like thinner, some like thicker.
As others have mentioned, old boots should do. Or an old belt if your gun likes thicker leathers.
Anyone who makes stuff out of leather will have bunches of scraps left over. Ya got any bag-maker buddies?

I use scrap buck skin I got from an old western store. It's thick, soft and works great :thumbsup:

Thank you all for the responses, and especially to Macon Due for hooking me up. This forum is great.

any type leather can do a good job. Cow, deer elk, etc. It doesn't need to be too think and should be treated with the likes of Sno-Seal, Neetsfoot Oil, or bear grease if you have it. I've used DGW Old Zip, and that works too. Heat your leather with a hair drier, a heat gun if you have one, and apply the oil. Two treatments of whatever you use works best. I've heard of some using olive oil, but that can turn rancid.

Maybe I've been lucky but as a general rule, leather scraps are usually so inexpensive you can cut up stacks of flint leathers and use a new one for every range trip...new one for every hunting season, etc

Old gloves or any leather clothing might be of suitable thickness, shoe repair stores/taxidermists might have a scrap bin one can look thru.

I've used buckskin and various thicknesses and types of cow, etc, leather and they all worked perfectly. I have no preference.

I'm trying out 6/8 ounce moosehide but 3/4 ounce deerhide works pretty good.

Back