• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what was your first prize won

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great story about your first prize. I am sure when you look at it you would'nt trade the memories it evokes for anything in the world. :hatsoff:

The first thing I ever won was a Blackhawk tomahawk back around '85 or '86. Came in 5th overall at a rendezvous shoot in southern California. The funny part is, I've been going to the same shoot ever since but have never done that well since. :rotf: One year a shooter had made and donated a beautiful skinning knife, designating it to be awarded to "Mr. Average Shooter", the person who finished dead center on the score list. That year it was me. :grin:

1# of smoked bacon from a local butcher shop...I supplied the prizes for our local club from time to time. Early 70's, and the shootin' was fun and informal...small club in Indiana County, PA.
It's gone now, and so are a lot of good friends...maybe it was FRIENDSHIP that was really the first prize won...those "old timers" made us greenhorns feel welcome :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
:v Shreck

I think the first prize I won at a real shoot was a pound of powder.

We had our club spring shoot this last week end and I ended up 12th out of 25 shooters so I must be that Mr. average your talking about. :haha: I won a Lee's 2nd edition modern reloading hand book. :thumbsup:

I can't remember but it was a small local shoot and I was picking low off the blanket. Probably a tin cup or a few flints. I was not into picking high off the blanket at this time.

Ha! At the first real rendezvous that i went to with my own gun and gear I didn't hit squat on the trail walk. Then I discovered the re entry where for a buck you could take three shots at a one-third pound of bacon hanging on string. After a couple shots I figured it out where to hold my sights and started winning bacon on every shot. I didn't have anything else to do so I kept at it until they finally asked me to take my pile of meat and move along. :grin:

laffindog said:
Ha! At the first real rendezvous that i went to with my own gun and gear I didn't hit squat on the trail walk. Then I discovered the re entry where for a buck you could take three shots at a one-third pound of bacon hanging on string. After a couple shots I figured it out where to hold my sights and started winning bacon on every shot. I didn't have anything else to do so I kept at it until they finally asked me to take my pile of meat and move along. :grin:

Was your prize the bacon you were shooting at? :shocked2: :confused: :wink:

I have never enterted a muzzloading competition but I soon will and I plan on winning many things if there is prizes. Do they have trophy girls at these things?
I did win a first place trophy when I was 8. It was in a Fast Draw competition and I went up againest two other guys who were both 11.

I won a 15 lb turkey, (1st place 25 yds offhand) shooting my 50 cal. t/c hawken. I would show pictures of the turkey, but we already ate it. :wink:

The first prize i won was a Moose Bell fly swatter,
won first place in a stake shoot using a smoothbore 12 ga shotgun with RB, every other shooter had a rifle, cut the 4x4 stake in half with 3 shots. :blah:

Rifleman1776 said:
laffindog said:

Was your prize the bacon you were shooting at? :shocked2: :confused: :wink:

Yeah. There were 10 or 12 1/3# packages hanging by string maybe 20 feet from the line. Shoot, cut the string and the bacon is yours. It is caculated that you should miss more often than hit so the host club makes money on the deal. Not with me shooting that day. I came home with more bacon than I knew what to do with and was pretty proud of myself for winning something at my first event. (happy dance)

you are 100% correct. I watched, I listened and I learned. They were very serious but recognized I was not much of a threat to them in terms of score. They knew I was a newbie so as it progressed throughout the matches they would talk a little more or ask me questions and then offer suggestions. Now when they were done shooting was even another level. They talked about modifying, tweaking loads, what loads, triggers etc. Pretty much anything you could think to ask about and much much more in a manner very similar to this forum as you all make suggestions to anyone who will ask a question.

I really listened to them when they were talking amongst each other as they knew what each was shooting, what was new and they just talked.

I truly miss shooting with those guys as I think they have discontinued the matches. I met Eddie May there and he was and is a wonderful help to us newbies. I give him the credit for me getting serious about muzzleloading.

Latest posts

Back