• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would caplock shooters want the most?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MM, think I heard that's why alot of the ole timers didn't switch to caplocks and stayed with[url] flinters...tremblin[/url] hands..lil'caps...bad eyes....small nipples....you get the idea... :rotf: :haha: RC

Last edited by a moderator:
RC said:
this thought comes to mind...especially for roundball...opening day of muzzleloading season with nothin to do but hunt..that said, how was the wedding? :winking: RC
(October 7th)

OOOPS! :redface: boy glad I wasn't[url] invited....showin[/url] up a month early wouldn't been good :nono: ...we'll be thinkin about ya,I'll have time,ours don't open fer a week after that... :cursing: RC

Last edited by a moderator:
roundball said:
I was asked the following question:
"If a caplock ML shooter had a chance to get caplock related things at outstanding prices, what would be the top few items that they might be most interested in...like a flintlock shooter might be interested in flints?" I thought and said:

1) #11 caps
2) #11 cappers
3) Hot Shot nipples
4) Kap Kovers

Any other suggestions?

5) lubed felt wads... (8 cents is current price)
6) Cabelas brand 3" patches... (they are the best)

The leather cappers I make don't lose caps. Have you tried soaking yours in melted beeswax?

For hunting, I like the "Star 7" capper from Thompson Center. It is small, and holds caps quietly, and securely.

Cooner54 said:
I have used the capper by Ted Cash for about 25 years now. The tear drop shaped one for rifles. Mine is one of the copper ones that he made a short run of 100 limited edition. Most reliable capper i have ever used. I have tried the straight line cappers and find them to be junk.
Mine is nickel silver , and I love it . I always thought it was boat shaped :haha: .

FWIW, when I hunted with caplocks, I'd use one of the straight line cappers that held a dozen caps...lightweight, quiet, tethered easily in a shirt pocket;
For range use, I used the workhorse Ted Cash capper below:
Pros: Holds a whole tin of 100 caps, strong & durable;
Cons: Heavier, noisy, gets dirty easy;
But it'll be the last one I get rid of...

TedCashBrassCapperbalanced.jpg

Now that I see Roundball's pic , that one does look teardrop shaped . I always thought of that style as snail shaped (don't ask why 'cause I don't know :haha: ) . Mine is definietly boat shaped , sort of , I think , or maybe ..... Some people have told me , it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool , than to open my mouth and remove any doubt . But it's too late for me to change now :haha:

They are often referred to as "snail shaped" in addition to "tear drop" shaped.

Sounds like the one you have is like this:

TedCashboatshapedcapper150.jpg

:haha: Some Fuller Black English Flints maybe! :rotf: I know for all my cap guns I wanted L&R RPL lock conversions. They are neat if you set them up so you can change back and forth from Cap to Rock Etc. :thumbsup:

Cooner54 said:
I have used the capper by Ted Cash for about 25 years now. The tear drop shaped one for rifles. Mine is one of the copper ones that he made a short run of 100 limited edition. Most reliable capper i have ever used. I have tried the straight line cappers and find them to be junk.
Thats what I have,a straight capper.You are right it is a piece of junk.When you push a cap forward it falls out of the darn thing.Not good in a hunting situation :shake: Or is it just buck fever :haha:

Leather is it. All others are just junk. Sure wish everyone would try them. Pretty close to PC and easy to use. The one I am using is about 30 yrs old and still works the best. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sidelock said:
Leather is it. All others are just junk. Sure wish everyone would try them. Pretty close to PC and easy to use. The one I am using is about 30 yrs old and still works the best. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brass is it. All others are just junk. Sure wish everyone would try them. My favorite is about 16 years old and still works the best.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(sounds silly doesn't it)

redwing said:
:haha: Some Fuller Black English Flints maybe! :rotf: I know for all my cap guns I wanted L&R RPL lock conversions. They are neat if you set them up so you can change back and forth from Cap to Rock Etc. :thumbsup:

That's what I'm doing with my caplock GPR. I bought a Lyman flint lock and flint barrel to swap out the percussion with.

roundball said:
They are often referred to as "snail shaped" in addition to "tear drop" shaped.

Sounds like the one you have is like this:

TedCashboatshapedcapper150.jpg
Yup , that's the style I have , thanks Roundball . :hatsoff:

Make yer own felt wads with a punch and felt from Duro-felt. Then put a dollop of that Permatex hand cleaner atop when you put 'em in the barrel after the powder, then yer PRB atop.
I take soaked wads with me hunting, just a few.

Back