• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would you call it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Hawken.... kentucky half stock...??
DSCN3228.jpg

DSCN3235.jpg
DSCN3229.jpg

it does look a bit like my dads half stock kentucky, but id just call it one good lookin rifle :thumbsup:

It looks like one I just built! :grin:

IMG_6425.jpg

I call it “nice”. :thumbsup:

Looks to me overall like what was a "plains rifle," though they certainly weren't used only on the plains. I'd let the experts nitpick the style details to get more specific than that.

I'd call it a very nice looking firearm which will hopefully shoot just as well. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

thanks guys, i just was sure what style to call it :haha: It sort of has a mixture of everything on it.

Beautiful gun and fully custom too. Im not sure who the barrel maker is as there is zero stamping on it anywhere. The breech plug is even custom bolt with the tang welded onto it.

Nit Wit said:
I'd like to call it mine!
Nit Wit :thumbsup:

Noooo! After taking a few shots today with my 250gr elk conical, shes a keeper! I used 90gr 3f american pioneer and got a 1" group with that stuff. Its only going to get better once i switch to either goex 2f or pyrodex rs.

Whoever built your gun knew what they were about. It looks like a Kentucky that has been "upgraded" to a percussion rifle circa 1840. Beautiful.

Beautiful rifle for sure. With the exception of the trigger guard it reminds me of a Leman, which was a contemporary of the Hawken.

I'd call it a Plains Rifle.

I avoid the Hawken name like the plague.
Too many pickers of minutia and fly feces pop up when that name is used.

If I ever build something like the gun in question it will be a Plains Rifle or a J.Huber or a J. Roper, E.T. Jackson, J Labeau or something. Anything but a Hawken.

well heres the first 50yard target with the new rifle! I may have to adjust a bit to the left but i will leave it until i shoot off my lead sled. I was just kneeling down using a sand bag to shoot off of today. Im a bit shaky these days.

I also shot some 320 REALs that i cast and i see great promise in them as well. Only a 2 1/2" group but consistent. Just have to fiddle around with powder and powder charges.

Back