• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whatcha got goin' ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing what MLers builders have going and what stages these projects are at? Also something about the parts being used. To start, I'm working on an early Lancaster from a blank but all the parts are from Chambers. This is my first time using a Dale Johnson lock and it positions nicely and has more of an under curve for a slightly earlier look. The bbl,tang,lock,trigger and plate and buttplate are inletted and screwed down, so the shaping starts shortly and the only thing left is to make the Pbox.. Have in stock a bbl, TG, BP,lock, am waiting on the blank from Tigerhunt and all for another Bucks County. Have to make bbl lugs, trigger and plate,RR pipes, MC, side plate TP, cheek star and the Pbox. A lot of "fun" hours ahead w/ both LRs. The third will be an eastern Tennessee and am just writing a parts list. So....what's on or nearly on your bench?.....Fred

I just finished a Tennessee rifle & shipped it Friday. Have another Tennessee about 1/2 way done, working on it now. Have the barrel in, tang extended & in, lock in, buttplate made & on, triggerguard made & inletting it now, RR pipes are made but not in, stock is shaped up just past the lock panels. Also have a Lehigh Smoothbore I just started, have the barrel & tang inlet & lock part of the way in.

Keith Lisle

I'm waiting on a 41" .20ga oct/round smoothbore barrel to be jug choked full atm. Then I'll try to inlet it in a 2 x 4 I got here with modifyed French hardware. Looking for a New England style look with reused parts. Long as it shoots, all that matters.

Building a 19th century SW VA cobbled type fowling piece.

6' Rayl Oct/round barrel
Original Whitney contract musket flintlock
Altered and cut down Bess TG
All other hardware by me

finishing up my cherry Tennessee - couple 3 or 4 more coats of Chambers' oil, and I'll post some pics this weekend, if it ever stops raining.

curly maple early Lancaster pre-carve arrived from Pecatonica 2 nights ago.

NewStock0005.jpg
NewStock0001.jpg

Brass furniture from TOW. Rice .50 B swamp barrel. Chambers Deluxe Siler lock. Startin' on cleaning up the breech area inlet tonight.
This will be my third rifle, all with precarves from PR with barrel and RR hole inlet only. Believe it's time to make the jump to startin with a blank :shocked2: on #4, which will be another Tennessee.

Underhammer H&A clone. with Double set triggers and powered by an internal mainspring. Maple wood, horn nose cap, wooded rib.. only the barrel was purchased!

that and My version of the Casull/RMAC
A22 turret rifle. re-using an old Remington tapered octagon .22 barrel and making the rest as I go..

that is when I'm not deep into my Shop induced ADD and finding another Oooo Shiny.. to mess with instead!! somewhere down there is a new Mule Ear lock,, come to think about it?? :hmm:

Respect Always
Metalshaper

This don't count but I'm building a 10' x 15' workshop. (My tools and pistol builds are getting too big for the kitchen table! The wife don't like it :nono: - can't imagine why :idunno: :surrender: :rotf: ) The shop is going next to my blacksmithing shed so I can hopefully build pistols and rifles entirely from scratch. Hoping to start first build before fall.
Woody

I have a black walnut blank cut out to the profile of an early Reading Co. rifle and a 41" Rice swamped Reading Co. barrel ready to start hand inletting into the blank. I probably won't get started on it until this fall though.

I'm working on a 1800-1810 inspired, iron mounted SW Va rifle with a vestigial stepped wrist. This one might be more of a woodberry school, as opposed to a historical piece, but it will be made as new, with rust blued hardware, though the lock and BP might get color case hardened.

I have a new engraver living about a mile from me that is real good. This guy is a real artist, but I don't know what he will charge, as yet. Gotta work up the engraving pattern for the lock, PB and guard before I will have any idea of what engraving will cost me.

Might even put a spot of silver on it, somewhere. Maybe silver bands on the thimbles.

I'm using an new, 30 yr old precarve stock and Douglas, 38" 32 cal, 13/16" barrel. Lock is a new late Ketland from Chambers, new, 30 yr old Davis single stage set triggers. The rest will be made by me.

Barrel is set, BP is forged, and Lock tuned. That's about it. Gotta forge the guard, make the thimbles, side plate, patchbox, sights, underlugs, and nosecap, in addition to doing all of the inlets, so I gotta lot of work to do.

It's gonna be fun.

God bless

Have a TN Mountain I am working on now. 13/16" 42" Rice 45cal. Barrel is pinned in place, lock and triggers and TG inletted with screws installed, pipes in place, butt plate cutout. I made a lollipop tang out of a straight tand which I have inletted. Lock area is filed and shaped Right now I am working on making a scraper with a 3/8" radius to make the ramrod channel a bit deeper so the ramrod will fit closer to the nose cap.

I had a bit of a hangup with the nose cap, it seems everyone is selling the TDC nose caps which are pretty shallow. I put one one and didn't like the looks of it. MBS makes them about .040 deeper so I have one on the way. I tried making one, but after a week of 4 hours after work, I came up with 3 nose caps. Last two looks decent, but just didn't fit right (too big). Had I planned figured on making the nose cap from the beginning, I would have done it as shown in the tutorial. Part of learning I guess :wink:

I also have a Virginia in cherry that I work on from time to time. I am planning on it having allot of similarities as the "Haymaker" which there are allot of good pictures to be found. It has a 50cal D-weight Getz. I have the barrel, tang, lock, and triggers inletted and butt plate installed.

There is also a Boys rifle there which I get my boy in the shop occasionally to take part it. It Beck style with a small Siler, 45cal 36" 13/16 GM barrel. I have barrel, lock, triggers, and tang inletted on it. May have the barrel lugs and pins in also, don't remember.

What I am working on now:
1. - .40 Lancaster style I started in 1994 (it's in white now)
2. - .50 Early Lancaster style (it's in white now)
3. - .62 smooth rifle (about 25%)
4. - .62 Fowler (it's in white now)

What I've completed so far this year:
1. - Redone Centermark (cut barrel to 39" & removed sling rings & barrel band)
2. - .54 rifle (iron, maple some crude carving & engraving)

Hi Fred,

Here's what I'm fiddling with:
It's a "Virginia" pre-carve from Pecatonica
c weight .54 cal Green Mountain barrel
curly maple stock
Chambers round faced lock (big bugger!)
Davis dbl set triggers
brass furniture and small brass patchbox
Most of the parts came from Pecatonica although I had a trigger guard and I made the nose cap.

Everything's fit and I'm just about done with the finished scraping and sanding. Then I'll start carving, wire inlay, and engraving. I'm finishing this gun out to a little more sophisticated level (hopefully). My other guns were finished out to what I consider to be kind of a blue collar level of finish in terms of carving etc.

I'm at the fun stage, finshing my Christian Springs rifle. I have all 90% of the molding done, all the carving is laid out. Sure glad to be past the endless days of sanding, whiskering, re-sanding, re-whiskering, etc. Hopefully I'll have it done for Dixon's, but I won't rush it.

I've got a couple going, but my primary focus is a French fowler. Castings from TRS, 48" 16 ga, Rayl barrel, Walnut from Dunlap.
In-letting the butt plate was a real joy, not!
DSCN0557.jpg

Robby

Well, let's see, I need to finish up sewing a linen shirt. All I have left to do is make the thread buttons and do the buttonholes in the collar and do the fell stitching down the sides. I have a wool vest that lacks buttons and buttonholes, pockets, and assembly of the outside to the liner. On the back burner right now. I have a knife that I need to get back to..still haven't gotten around to getting new saw blades so I can cut it out. I've got two or three sets of handles to make for S&W .44's and .357's....

I have been playing around with a first pistol for me. It is an English dragoon. It is not unlike building a rifle but there are some minor differences. Inletting the buttcap with the short straps has given me fits. I'd rather do a rifle butt plate anytime. Oh, walnut stock, Chamber's Queen Anne lock, brass tg,pipes and side plate and 50.cal round barrel. About another 20 hours and I should be done. I hope....

Robby said:
I've got a couple going, but my primary focus is a French fowler. Castings from TRS, 48" 16 ga, Rayl barrel, Walnut from Dunlap.
In-letting the butt plate was a real joy, not!
DSCN0557.jpg

Robby

When I first talked to Mike about a French gun, one of the first things he said was, please don't make me inlet one of those style butt plates! :haha:

Yes it was Capt., I think I may have used the name of our creator a few times. After that exorcism, it went right on smooth as silk. :grin:
Robby

At the present I am making a heavy thick 1750,s Germanic style rifle along Christian Springs Pa design. I was just going to do a little carving behind the cheek piece and kept seeing more, so I did a very large sterling thumb piece inlay carved around it, then carved the whole left side around the wrist down both sides of a 2 piece early style patchbox. I did a nice small comb inlay and a real early one in front of the toe plate. Now it looks like a Jeager Longrifle. I would probably never go this far again but now that its close to staining it looks really cool. All the hardware is engraved as well. The barrel is a 40 inch swamped a Getz 50 cal. had it for years. The wood is highly figured real wavy grain curly maple. One thing about it when you go past the point of no return you just have to keep going. TGP

Back