• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whatcha got goin' ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also finishing a Christians Spring Germanic. Been on it for a long time. Been sidetracked by accoutrements, knives, leather, fire, steel and anvils. Have a Vincent in the waiting and a British Pattern 1776 TRS parts kits to start, although I'm losing interest in that one. :surrender:

Wow a lot of stuff going on from Pecatonica :grin: . I'm finishing a rifle from their Virginia stock. It's got a 42" B-wieght 45 cal barrel, Caywood lock, Iron mounted. It's pretty plain, no nose cap or side plate but I've done some incise carving along the ramrod channel, cheek peice and butt stock. I'm making my first attempt at a wooden patch box so It's a bit slow as I don't want to mess it up. Nothing fancy but hope its a good shooter.

Finishing up one of my Carolina kits this weekend. Then it's off to a bunch of small jobs I've been too busy to do. So if you're waiting for one of those "small jobs" from me, it won't be long now! :wink:

I've started on a pair of kentucky pistols with sterling silver furniture. I've bougth the barrels and locks, the rest I make from scratch.I plan to case these pistols with a flat bison powderhorn with silver fittings.

Best regards
Rolf
slvpistoler024.jpg

I am building one fer myownself!

A fantasy Dickert. A little mix of his early patchbox and carving, with a little thinner architecture. Barrel, buttplate and lock are in, trigger is 95% there. Waiting on a number of drill bits that I thought I had ordered BEFORE I started. Time for some drilling and tapping!

Working on a trade gun, blank from Dunlap, Barrel is a Colerain 20 ga. col. virg. lock from Chambers. Made the buttplate, trigger guard, trigger, trigger plate. (I have read some trade guns, probably later had trigger plates). Have it rough shaped up to the front of the lock. Kinda to the fun part now. I started this gun around November, only work on it when I feel like it. Don't plan to hunt with this gun till maybe spring. flinch

Lots of good stuff being made by members and quite a variety of MLers. The kits, bbls, wood and other components available from the many suppliers surely do contribute to the motivation for building these replicas of guns used in our historical past. Very interesting reading all the posts....Fred

Working on #3 right now, Southern my gun in 32cal. DeHass barrel with a custom Homer lock,maple blank.It's perty much in the white right now,so getting close. Made all the other parts.Much work,lots of trials and many errors.Makes one really appreciate the old time builders and how they were able to do what they did.

I'm working on a Dunlap Woodcrafts Golden Age Isaac Haines rifle. It's a .50 caliber with a B weight 42" Rice barrel. I spent parts of last week using a wood plane to slim down the fore end. I'm in the final stages of wood shaping before cutting the moldings and adding some wood carving. This project has been ongoing for about 2 years.

Salt

I have just started work on a southern mountain rifle for a man over in Lagrange Ga. It has a 42" 45 cal DeHass barrel, large siler lock and a cm3 precarve stock blank from Pecatonica River and Davis triggers.

I need to get my bandsaw fixed so I can get in to restocking an earlier attempt of mine at a German rifle.

I've got a Lehigh I've been puttering around with for about 18 months. Pecatonica Lehigh precarve, GM 42" B weight .50 , Chambers Golden Age lock, Davis single trigger that I modified to get a lighter pull. The butt plate is from MBS as are the two (yes two :shake: ) trigger guards and patch box, RR pipes I can't remember. The Side plate, toe plate, and nose cap I made. Everything is inlet. The patchbox cavity needs to be hogged out and the PB latch made (still trying to figure that one out). The forearm is down to final shape, the cheek side of the butt stock still needs some work.

I can't decide on how much incised carving will go on this but I will at a minimum do the "liberty head" carving in front of the TG. I have some screw ups that need new wood inlet over. This has been quite a learning experience. :shake: I just hope it turns out OK.

well, i went down to the sawmill (which is like going into a candy store) and like an idiot, i brought my checkbook (never a good combination, from the liquidity / debt-to-asset-ratio standpoint).

saw some maple in the pile with to-die-for curl, and bought it, ever though it was only eight quarter and i won't be able to make rifle blanks out of it. then in an epiphanous moment (i get those a lot when i panic as i pull into the driveway) i determined that it would make excellent pistol blanks, which would go well with the two barrels i have on order, and probably two small siler locks, and two of those really neat triggers i saw in that catalog ... then a'll have to make a case for them (all good tools come in thier own case, after all), and then the gadgets that go with them...

enjoy (i know i will!)

Started an EV back in October 09 and still at it. Way too much time spent. There just ain’t enough hours in the day. I have been working on a house to sell and just bought a Traditional Archery business and trying to hold down a full time job. That’s my excuse anyway. If I could sit down for a day I could just about get her done all but the decorating. That’s about another week or so. It would not take you guys as long but I have never done any engraving before. Never done any of this before as a matter of fact.
The new business is taking a lot of time getting it set up the way I want it and getting things rolling. One more good weekend should do it. The house will close this week. Another burden gone. As for the full time job”¦. Well something has to go and it ain’t going to be the Archery business. :nono:

Greetings,

I started this project over a year ago, I purchased an under hammer action kit, (3) barrels to be made to fit into this same action using (3) screws to lock the barrels in place, depending on the type match your shooting: #1 Goodoein 11/8"False muzzled 52cal. barrel for X-stick, and light bench. #2 Dehaas 13/8"45 cal. barrel for chunk matches, and a Hoyt 11/2" 50 cal.false-muzzled barrel for heavy bench.

Project#2: I purchased a Pete Allan Box lock, that will have a Rice 11/4" 45cal.barrel with a false muzzle, and locking collar, this barrel is being built at present.

Project#3 I have purchased all the parts to build a cased set of dueling pistols using 101/2" DeHaas 15/16" 45cal. barrels, and Davis percussion locks, with L&R single set triggers.

I also have a (2) other barrels on order for other projects, if I live that Long!!! :surrender:

All projects are to be stocked with curly maple
using aqua fortis stain.

mgcrumster

Latest posts

Back