• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's going on with Dixie Gunworks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sad thing about the trope of “they should just get a job” is, would you hire them?
They should get a job and they should make themselves socially acceptable to be hired.

You can expect to be unemployed looking like an idiot or trash, with multiple recent criminal convictions and spouting a social agenda on your resume.

At the postal service it likely works both ways. Used to be postal workers earned good wages with great benefits and retirement. Often they were veterans. Now many of those things have been cut with much less job security. Our mail used to be trucked 50 miles away to be sorted now it goes over 100 miles before coming back.

It would seem that the only people taking jobs are over 60 and some over 70. I commend this just don’t want to HAVE TO work that late in life. At a lgs i met a new employee who retired from his shop job. Think it was to get out of the house.

It would seem that the only people taking jobs are over 60 and some over 70. I commend this just don’t want to HAVE TO work that late in life. At a lgs i met a new employee who retired from his shop job. Think it was to get out of the house.
For those that don’t have a pension, not as much to get out of the house but rather to supplement their SS payments and help pay for the high cost of meds. Besides, the older folks do a much better job with work ethics than the younger ones that don’t give a rodent’s behind if they get fired.

Some of those people only work long enough to be able to claim unemployment benefits too. When my wife was working for the high school, many people would come and go. The women worked long enough to have a baby with the health insurance benefits and then they quit. Others would find out they actually had to work and after a day or two they stopped coming in to work and just disappeared.

But last summer I ordered some things from DGW and it all came in fairly fast. So I think they got some of their issues resolved now.

I met a few old guys working that said they had to get out of the house cause now they were around their wives all day and night lol they couldn't take it

At the postal service it likely works both ways. Used to be postal workers earned good wages with great benefits and retirement. Often they were veterans. Now many of those things have been cut with much less job security. Our mail used to be trucked 50 miles away to be sorted now it goes over 100 miles before coming back.

A long time ago I applied to work for the USPS. They had me come in for a interview and the guy said he would love to hire me but they were only hiring American Indians. I note that they do the same for other minorities too. White people need not apply.

I have purchased from Dixie since the 1970s, as they and Herters were my ‘go to’ suppliers back in the day. Then Herters went bankrupt (I actually got a settlement check from the bankruptcy court), then Dixie cemented itself in number one spot as my favorite catalog source (remember those), with Cabelas eventually working itself into a distant second. Then they were bought up by BP………

So in 50 years or so, no complaints about Dixie.

People have also cursed other muzzleloading supply stores. TOTW anybody? Insert your pet peeve. I have been to DGW, and they are almost entirely mail order. They have to balance the number of employees in order to make a profit, just like all their competitors. During the pandemic, many businesses were forced to close. They had a hard time getting new stock. If anyone thinks they have a fool-proof way of running a small business, have 100% satisfied customers, please start this business, and force everyone else to close their doors.
If you are not too uppity, I suggest going there in person to look at all the antique guns Turner acquired. As long as your there, you might as well look at his antique cars, too!
I also have been to the Dixie Gun Works retail store. It is worth the trip.

They're probably doing the best they can with supply chain issues and personnel problems. Things will not be normal for a while yet so be patient and they'll get you what they can

The other side of the story: Many businesses offer very low wages.
That may be true but I think that most are troubled by regulations, high price of insurance and rent. My friend knows a local bookstore that had been in business for over 20 years and was selling all books for super cheap prices. My friend asked why so cheap and was told by the owner he had so many days to vacate the property cause the landlord has tripled the rent. He had no place to move to so it was either selling cheap to partially recover his loss or toss in the trash what remains unsold.
A similar thing happened to an indoor range I used many times. The landlord tripled the rent so they moved out. Karma struck the landlord cause the EPA requires the property to have the lead removed before the property can be used. The cleanup is so expensive and unaffordable to the landlord that the location has been vacant for a good 5 years. Greed backfired in this case.

We have gotten spoiled. Remember the old days of ordering from a catalog. "Allow 4 to 6 weeks for shipping" No tracking, no way of knowing where your package was. Hope for the best. Now we get upset if we have to wait more than a week. Most important thing to me is the ability to talk to a real person about my order or problems. DGW has always been there in that respect, even when short handed. I ordered a Sharps recently. There was a problem with the info my FFL dealer gave Dixie holding up the order. A couple of 5 minute phone calls and problem solved. Dixie said shipping might be 3 days or more due to an unforeseen personnel problem. I'm fine with that. Now I know.

I’ve not any problems with my orders from Dixie but I recently emailed them about a Pedersoli. Since Pedersoli won’t sell direct Dixie os there closest to me dealer. That was over the weekend and I still haven’t got a reply. I understand thay probably didn’t read it until Monday but here it is Wednesday.

White people need not apply.

Pretty much so. In the late 1980s i applied for an apprentice training program as an ammunition inspector. Was turned down due to my hearing loss. The son of a Korean family with hearing much worse than mine was accepted.

I’ve not any problems with my orders from Dixie but I recently emailed them about a Pedersoli. Since Pedersoli won’t sell direct Dixie os there closest to me dealer. That was over the weekend and I still haven’t got a reply. I understand thay probably didn’t read it until Monday but here it is Wednesday.
Wonder how many e-mails they get daily and how many folks they have employed who have to answer them?

Pretty much so. In the late 1980s i applied for an apprentice training program as an ammunition inspector. Was turned down due to my hearing loss. The son of a Korean family with hearing much worse than mine was accepted.
What does that have to do with Dixie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back