• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats in your hunting bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I tried messin with a possibles bag and dont like the way it flops around so I made a canvas pouch that goes on a belt for my ML stuff.I sewed pockets for a pan primer or nipple capper,four pockets for pre-measured charges,and my ball block and flints set in the bottom.What else should go in it,and what is in yours?

I always carry a couple of steel S shaped hooks when afield. They are just the ticket for hooking two strands of fence wire together to make it easier to crawl under or go over. A vent pick is a good idea too.

CROWHOP said:
I tried messin with a possibles bag and dont like the way it flops around so I made a canvas pouch that goes on a belt for my ML stuff.I sewed pockets for a pan primer or nipple capper,four pockets for pre-measured charges,and my ball block and flints set in the bottom.What else should go in it,and what is in yours?

I also use belt pouches...typically have the following items:

5 Pocket reloader(s)
Short Starter
Cleaning/seating jag
Plastic Muzzle guide
Spare cleaning/seating jag
Ball puller
Patch retriever
Spare vent liner
3 spare flints & leathers
Pan Primer
T-handle
1oz bottle TC#13
5 Field cleaning kit(s) ***

...Pint size ziploc = 1
...2" x 3" ziplocs = 2
...cleaning patches = 5
...Dry patches = 5
...Lubed patch = 1
...Alcohol wipe = 1
...Q-tip = 1
...Pipe cleaner = 1
...Muzzle mitt = 1

(I don't go for the fast second shot approach...I take plenty of time and thoroughly clean, dry, and lube the bore & lock before reloading...all the dirty trash goes back inside the ziploc for carry out...no litter/odor left in the woods, etc)

I had the same problem when I used what I call a western mtn man bag. I switched to a small eastern bag. Only measures about 5x6 inches, D shaped. Carry high under my arm. Now for the items I carry. I only have a strip of patch material, small ball bag, 1 or 2 extra flints, and extra powder measure. Everything else for my firelock gets carried in my knapsack or bed roll if using hopus.

CROWHOP said:

I hate it when my Bag Flops around.I just use my pockets I got some big pockets on my hunting coat for my Short Starter,5 pre-measured charges,My capper hangs around my neck along with my ball Block with 5 patched Balls.If I'm hunting with flintlock I carry a flint knapper and some spare flints in my pockets too.Might also be a cleaning patch or two balled up with the lint in my pocket. :hmm:

I have never had a problem with my possibles bag floping around because I don't go jumping around like a half crazed idjit :rotf: I move slow and precise :blah: In my possibles bag I carry a sandwich, BP tool kit, Balls, Patches, Knife, Long starter, Powder horn, capper, Candy bar and if I'm gone for awhile, a small bottle of water. :v Bob

Balls, patches, flints, turn screw, small scrap of flint leather, cleaning jag, worm, hank of tow.

The only thing I hunt these days are winged creatures. I carry everything I need in my hunting vest pockets. Shot flask in one side and powder flask in the other. Cards and wads in one or the other or both pockets depending on my mood. I'll carry a primer clipped on my vest and a screw driver and an extra flint or two. That's about it.

Short starter :v,
leather wallet containing extra flints
with a cleaning jag, patch puller and a
piece of paper clip (to clean the touch hole),
dry and pre-lubed patches,
ball pouch,
screwdriver,
and a piece of leather thong (to attach the license tag to the deer's ear) :thumbsup:

This is from a percussion enthusiast.

Powder Flask (filled)
Pre lubed patches
Capper (fully loaded)
Short Starter
Poweder Measure
Ball Bag (fully loaded)
Nipple Pick
Nipple Wrench
Spare Nipple
Patch Worm
Breech Brush
Nipple Charger (fully loaded with 4FG)
2 dozen cleaning patches
Several Pipe Cleaners
1 8oz bottle of TC's #13 Bore Cleaner
1 5oz tube of TC's Bore Butter
1 Leatherman Tool

If that sounds like a lot, it probably is. As I always told my troops: It's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it! :)

Good question. Like swampman I tend toward the basics but a bit more refined. below is a pic of my bag and contents. Occasionally odd things find there way into my bag, hnce the tinder fungus in the pic. The bag is about 8 1/2 inches tall and 5 1/2 inches wide, made from a scrap of braintan with a fingerwoven strap and no bag flap (the eight of the bag keeps it closed at the top pretty well. In the pic from the top going clockwise; a burning lens with a leather case, a few round ball carried loose in the bottom of the bag, some patch material, a couple pieces of tinder fungus (I found them in there when I opened the bag up for the pic), a flask of small shot (assorted sizes from #8 to #2), small tin with a mix of bear grease and beeswax, a penny knife, a bag of #4 buckshot, a couple of flints (usually carried inside the little drawstring bag above them, the flint bag is tied to the bag strap in the back), a couple of rags for cleaning (reuse them after they dry), a greased rag, a couple of twist on tow worms, a turnscrew/knapper (made from a bit of scrap metal in a camp fire after I lost my good turnscrew on a hunt), in the center of the pic is my charger (measure) and a vent pic of twisted wire. Off to the side is my powder flask made of wax hardened leather. This is the kit I carry with my early style flintlock, with the matchlock it doesn't change much except no flints or turn screw and I then carry a couple hanks of slowmatch. As you can see I kind of prefer shot for most targets out of my smoothbores.
4f14bd4d.jpg
[/img]

Here's me goodies.
Pouchcontents.jpg

There are five spare flints in the tool roll. Not shown is a cleaning jag (I also have a tow worm in my patchbox). The jag and one flint ride in a tiny pocket just inside the pouch flap. It's the only pocket aside from the big one of my pouch.

The 1" X 12" piece of leather is handy for added grip on the rammer when whiping.

I do carry one non-period item. Round wooden toothpicks. I save them from my sandwiches. One broken in half is good for 2 cleanings.

My bag and whats in it.
389135.jpg

Inside compartments. I know where they are and whats there by feel.
389136.jpg

Things that go inside. Believe it or not, everything has its place, and I know where that is.
389137.jpg

Close up. I forgot to set the camera for closeup and got inside its focal length, so it isnt in perfect focus, but, that's the way some days go.
389138.jpg

The short starter is made from a waste section of whitetail antler beam, and it rides in a pocket on the bag strap. The handle on the patch knife used to stick up on that piece of beam. Waste not, want not. The burned Sucrets tin box holds all the jags, picks, spare parts and other things that would surely get lost if not contained. The old knife is a family original. I will post on the non-muzzy thread about that, as it came from Ohio with my gpa's-grandpa, along with a Smith Carbine which was converted to .50-70 cartridge~~I'm wantin some of your opinions on that rifle. The knife is made from a file, and is in the condition that I found it. The harp? is there for my satisfaction. PC or not, I always carry a handful of those Zone bars. They have about half the food value of a meal, and are balanced for diabetics. Besides that, they come in all sorts of flavors and taste good. I can hunt all day on 3 of them. About a buck a piece. If I'm at a PC event, I just take 'em out of the wrapper and stick them in a wax paper. My health takes precedence over period correct.

I made the bag when I made the Hawken. I found a book at the library, then, which was all about hunting bags, their history, &etc. They had a picture of an original French bag which was in a museum somewhere, and I copied it and personalized the inside. You older guys know that 30 years ago, information was scarce, Al Gore hadnt invented the internet yet, and a lot of current research wasnt available. However, according to that book, this should be a fair copy of a French trade bag of about 1790-1800.

The canvas? All sorts of it at Hobby Lobby. It is my next project in the making.

Bill

Bounyhunter Beautiful Bag!! really nice work, nice combination of fit and function. and plumbeau I really like that powder flask too

Actually, it isnt a powder flask, it is a tobaccy box with a burning lens that I keep my flint and steel and char cloth in.

I might add, that according to that book, which I cannot find again, sewing machines were in use in France and England in the late 1700's and that trade bags were commonly machine stitched. That is why there is a little bit of machine stitching around the cutouts and cross on the flap. Wish I could find that book again, it was a real treasure on hunting bags.

Bill

The comment on the Powder flask was intended for the post 2 or 3 before yours by Plumbleu n(maybe i spelled it right this time).

Thanks for the kind words on the flask. It is just veg-tanned leather moulded while wet than sealed from the inside out with wax. The style is taken from a few that are mid-late 17th century style (show up a bit in the eary 18th century as well). I have made a few other styles of them as well as a few leather bottles and a drinking jack or two. It works great; lightweight, waterproof and carries nice.

Same old Ox Dung(thats King James for BS)
I pack lots of balls(I waste alot of balls)
Patch cloth,
Cleaning patch and muthers milk,
Priming caps, (100)
Powder Flask,(Big one)
Nipple wrench,
And a couple of those waterproof speed loaders.
and a small 1611av

I spose if I am going to take that gun on a boat I need to get a water proof flask, what do ya all think?

Back