• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats in your survival pack?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on how long your talkin about. I go into the brush every weekend with my family for hiking/camping. Sometimes 3 days /1 night other times just 1 day. I bring a BFM (Backpack with camelbak insert) which I use to carry food, knife, compass and fire. I attach a tent to it. Each of my kids carry their own pack which has their sleeping bag and usually one toy they want to bring (They have to carry it if they bring it, dems da rules!) My wife carries our bed role and a camelbak as well. Each camelbak holds 3 liters of water. I bring a haversack which has maps in it. Lastly I bring my Glock 26. I know it breaks the ml rules but it fits nice and is there for the extra security.

If I'm going hunting I now go light with just my Lyman GPR, possibles bag, haversack, capote, and trade blanket. I try to go traditional when I hunt. I will bring a modern usgs topo map and compass though. I still use the camelbak under the capote and I bring along some food in the haversack.

I have a fix-a-flat kit in the car and an emergency fuel kit which you can pick up at pep-boys or a car place. Not sure how it works.

What do you carry into the field to keep you alive? Be honest!!!!!

First, I'm always honest.

Second, as silly as it may seem since I never plan to be more than a mile from the truck, I always carry the following items, every time I go hunting:

20oz water bottle
Compass
Cellphone
Two propane lighters
Utility knife
Skinning knife
Supertool
MiniMaglite
Whistle
25' parachute cord
Few Ziploc bags
Aspirin+Advil+Benadryl
Large bandaides
Pocket magnifying glass
Splinter tweezers
Large bandanna
TP

And I have a 3 ring notebook with detailed typewritten directions, premeasured in 1/10th's of a mile, lanmarks, and number of paces to the stand locations from my truck/parking place for every place I hunt...lay it out on the table before I leave and clip a bright orange label to the place I'm hunting that particular day.

At age 59, hunting alone, with a 5 year old quadruple bypass...I don't need the inconvenience of getting lost and spending the night in the woods, to say nothing of falling and breaking a leg back in there...and nobody should of course.

Flint and steel and char cloth, everything else is immaterial, I rather be warm...

Ok i was kind of general with the question , sorry. I always take my pack with me no matter if its a mile into the woods or a week long trip into the backcountry. My pack contains: Compass , folding knife , matches(strike anywhere waterproof) , flint&steel , gauze pack , medical tape , foil blanket , 20' cord , mirror. Thats my bare minimum. Wont go into the woods with out it! I have gone bird hunting in southern ohio before and become lost. i left the cabin and headed up an old logging road, it was late afternoon when i left and only planned on being gone a few hours. I got off the road and headed into the woods to the old quarries around the property , after heading down into and up out of three quarries i became dissoriented and could not remember which way was home. I had never hunted this part of the property before ( 1000 acres not mine by the way). it was getting dark and i knew i would not be able to navigate the quarries in the dark. I did not want to take a fall down a 60' cliff wall in the dark. So with night fall on me and not a clue wich way the cabin was, i decided to spend the night in the woods. My two hour hunting trip just turned into an allnighter. Man i wish i had my pack with me ( this is when i learned my lesson). I slept under a spruce tree shivering( not realy sleeping), in 20 degree weather. No water, matches, blanket. just the clothes on my back and my shotgun, and a few grouse in my bag!!! lol. In the mornning i crawled out from under the spruce, cold as hell , hungry , and humbled. i knew that if i continued in any direction i would find a road( just not in the dark!) after a long walk i did come to a farm and knocked on the door , the farmer was more than helpful and gave me a ride back to the cabin. 5 miles away!!!

A compass, spare knife, piece of rope and a sheet of 8'x10' clear plastic to improvise a pup tent if i get lost and need to spend the night, a candle, flint and steel fire starting kit, canteen of water, some salt, a survival blanket, spare wool socks, gloves, stocking cap, some tea bags, tin cup, a bag of raisins and nuts, toilet paper, matches, fish hooks and some line, (lots of rivers and lakes around here), band-aids, and probably a few things i've forgot. I know it is a lot but it fits in a small backpack, and i have bee known to get lost, so i would rather be safe than sorry.

been lost once, found my way by pure chance, could have been darned unpleasant. I have a quart sized baggie that moves from game pocket to fanny pack to knapsack, depending on what I'm doing...it contains some of the heating tablets,a disposable gas cigarette lighter, some water purification tablets, a couple of bandaids, an emergency "space" blkt, ditto poncho, some nylon line, some toilet paper, a 20 oz bottle of water, a couple of squares of Baker's chocolate, a couple of the sanitary Handy wipes ....some of this stuff gets used up on a regular basis, like the water, maybe the chocolate, some just stays there until I check it and see it is too worn/beat up. I carry a Buck folding knife on my belt, a Swiss Army knife on a belt loop, and I have the same Swedish Mora knife I've carried for 46+ years...there is always a compass on me, sometimes two (there's one on my car key ring), and a whistle is ciipped to the pack...all of this except the water can fit in that baggie...Hank

Wow! That's quite a story. :shocking: Makes one think. Where I hunt in N. Fla. its all thick hardwoods. We are between a 10,000 acre hunting lease and miles of river swamp. Mostly I hunt on edge of or in the floodplain swamp. It would be easy to get turned around. My brother and I did, in fact, while dragging out my first blackpowder buck. :: Luckily not for long! But long enough that it was a sick feeling in the pit of the stomach to realize we had no water or food. :shake: And it gets COLD in the winter. 20s not uncommon, have seen it in the teens. Your advice is well taken; Survival Backpack - Don't Leave Camp Without It! :thumbsup:

Roundball-
Thanks for posting that list. Its very helpful and I am going to use it to complete my "in case I screw-up and have to spend the night in the woods" pack. I have been using a fanny pack. Its too heavy once its filled with hunting stuff plus emergency items. So its time to put together a small back-pack (day-pack) with emergency items and maybe put hunting stuff (scents, grunt tube, etc.) in my muzzleloading shoulder bag. :peace:

P.S.: I don't know about you all, but I get the rolled eyes and good-natured b.s. from some others I hunt with when I mention "survival gear" or emergency supplies. It seems like a lot of folks don't consider worse case scenarios. I figure "prepare for the worst" and the best will take care of itself. Its not that I EXPECT to get lost, but it could happen.

My pack contains many of the aforementioned items so I won't repeat them. One thing I carry that hasn't been mentioned is a couple of film canisters with cotton balls saturated with vasoline (NOTE: VASoline, not GASoline) :nono: They make great fire starters (just add flame) when it's real wet and hard to find dry tinder. They burn hot and long enough to get small sticks going.
Also - the plastic sheet to make a shelter. I purchase a plastic drop cloth (heaviest mil available) but leave it in the package. It takes up very little room, but once it's opened, it'll never return to its package!
:thumbsup:

Well, as a field geologist I have traveled to many remote areas of the world, such as the Alaskan bush, South American jungles and the Death Valley desert, to name a few. My kit varies a little depending on where I am going, but the bare bones will include:
(1)a knife (or two)
(2)a fire starter of some sort
(3)a compass
(4)a small diamond knife sharpener
(5) a small space blanket
I have also carried first aid kits, plastic sheeting, candles, bullion cubes, fishing kit, cord, small hatchet, etc....IMHO the knife and fire starting kit are essential and I would never be without them. My choice of knives varies and I generally have two--something like the Ranger model Swiss Army knife (old Camper model) is a favorite folder and if going into the deep woods I like a fixed blade knife with real forged carbon steel blade--you cannot get sparks from the stainless steel blades! For fire kits I have various types ranging from "metal matches" to Bics to matches to flint and steel. Being a geologist, I usually already have a surveying compass and maps with me, but often carry a small regular compass backup. You should at least study maps of the areas you are going into before hand so as to have a general idea of the directions of places. Space blankets have saved my butt many times from sudden cold snaps and the reflecting side makes a good signal device. You tailor your kit to locale--no need for fish hooks in Death Valley, might opt for a machete in Colombia. :m2c:

I carry many of the things already listed. Enough to get through a few days of unexpected deep snow and cold if need be. One thing not mentioned so far is a small GPS unit. I got one a few years ago and it has guided me back to camp or back to a kill site many times. I would not substitute the GPS for map and compass, but it is a great compliment and something I will never be without. One spring I used the trusty devise to guide me back to the site of the first elk I shot. I had neglected to collect the ivories the previous fall and wanted to rectify the mistake. I walked 6 miles into the area from a different direction and the GPS took me to the exact spot, which looked very different from the previous fall. I'm not sure I would have found the remains without the GPS. A great tool.

P.S.: I don't know about you all, but I get the rolled eyes and good-natured b.s. from some others I hunt with when I mention "survival gear" or emergency supplies.

Several years ago I hit on an idea and have used it ever since...I bought a good quality, very, very large "upland game vest" with a gazillion pockets everywhere.

Half camo / half hunter orange, I fill it with all these things...keep it in the truck...use it every time I walk into the woods.

It also has enough pockets to hold the other items that you sometimes need like hat, gloves, sandwiches, rain gear, etc...serves as a backpack without looking like a backpack, distributes the weight a lot better...take it off when I get to the stand.

I always carry the most critical items directly on me in shirt & pants pockets, and on my belt...(compass, knives, flashlight, whistle, lighters, cellphone, etc)

May be overkill, but I've gotten turned around for a couple hours a couple times myself and it's a good feeling to know you've got some basics with you...

[/quote]

Several years ago I hit on an idea and have used it ever since...I bought a good quality, very, very large "upland game vest" with a gazillion pockets everywhere.

Half camo / half hunter orange, I fill it with all these things...keep it in the truck...use it every time I walk into the woods.

It also has enough pockets to hold the other items that you sometimes need like hat, gloves, sandwiches, rain gear, etc...serves as a backpack without looking like a backpack, distributes the weight a lot better...take it off when I get to the stand.

I always carry the most critical items directly on me in shirt & pants pockets, and on my belt...(compass, knives, flashlight, whistle, lighters, cellphone, etc)

May be overkill, but I've gotten turned around for a couple hours a couple times myself and it's a good feeling to know you've got some basics with you... [/quote]

::

Roundball, you and I must have similar thought patterns. About 7 years ago, I've also got a really nice hunting vest in xxl that is equipped with everything I need for the field including much of what is already mentioned. I still have a couple of pockets left. :crackup: :thumbsup:

Looks like the only things not mentioned is VSAT Communications equipment!!!

Seriously though.

About the only thing I would add to what has been already mentioned that I always take is a small G.I. issue medic field surgical kit. I've been in remote areas and have either done stitching on myself or other folks with bad cuts or wounds. I've installed about 30 stitches thus far. I've also packed on occassion with specific snake anti-venom depending on the location.

I always lement dragging extra things into the field. But, I'd rather tote something extra and not need it than need something that I don't have. I tend to travel somewhat on the lighter side unless I am going by foot really deep into remote areas. But then I'll be toting a backpack with more storage.

Good tips. I need a space blanket. Instead of vaseline/cotton balls I carry 2 pinecones dipped in candle wax/string wrapped to pull them out in a burnable plastic bottle, 6 popcicle sticks and 3 days of perscription medication. A keyring LED light beats no light at all.

dont go any where but familiar country these days.
my survival pack consisted of a 9v battery,steel wool,a 9"hunting knife ,a lock blade folding knife ,hatchet or hawke,space blanket, trail mix, and 20'of rope,snake bite kit,and first aid kit,spare ammo.
all of this fit quite nicely in a small backpack

I am so close to RoundBall that I will plagiarize his list with a few alterations:

16oz water bottle
Compass
Cellphone
Two propane lighters
Utility knife
Skinning knife
Gerber Multitool
Twin Task light
Whistle
25' parachute cord or a roll of trot line
Few Ziploc bags
Reading glasses
Large bandanna
Toilet Paper
Steel cup (With tea and sugar -- of course)
Helly Hanson packable rain suit
Small can of fruit -- usually peaches or mandarin oranges.

I used to carry aspirin, but it got soggy and I have not replaced it yet.

CS

Some VERY good lists there. :agree: I carry the most simple of items: firestarter, 20' nylon rope, dry socks[in a sealed zip baggie, ect. Something I didnt see on any of the lists is a roll-up type hammock. Fits neetly in a qt. size baggie and keeps me up, off the groung. We got some pretty mean wild hogs 'round here. They dont take kindly to folks gettin' cozy in THEIR runs. Sure, camp fires keep them away, but, fires go out in the early mornin' hours. :m2c:

I used to carry aspirin, but it got soggy and I have not replaced it yet.

FYI...one of the best things I did years and years ago was to stumble across a "plastics" catalog containing every imaginable type of plastic container in different sizes and different strengths, etc.

It has a section of resealable bags you won't believe...same design as ziploc bags but in many, many sizes and mil thickness strengths...I use the 3" x 5" size heavy duty bags like you occasionally see to contain small parts...very, very strong and I use them for everything that has to stay clean, dry and/or organized in a hunting pouch...spare pan primer, spare cap primer, matches or lighters, aspirins, meds, Q-tips, pipecleaners, etc.

And for me, having started down the traditional path but still short of the purist stage, they're outstanding for carrying separate sets of damp cleaning patches, dry patches, and lubed patches...field clean after a hunting shot then just stuff & seal the used set of patches back in a bag instead of leaving them in the woods, toss it when I get home.

In the shop, I use them for all sorts of parts storage for various firearms parts, label with a permanent marker. I've ordered a box of 1000 3-4 times over the years now...the whole family uses them for many different things.

:redthumb:

Back