• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats some things you wish you knew about/had early on when you started shooting these?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have gathered there is a lot of experience on this website, whole lot of guys who have been doing this a lot longer than me. I got the basics down id say maintenance/casting that sort of thing but you can always learn something new, would love to hear your guys opinions and thoughts.

On page 8 of the Lyman User's Guide that came with my cap lock GPR, under Safety Notes, it states "Caplocks: After firing leave the hammer down over the exploded cap as you reload." THIS IS WRONG, IT IS UNSAFE! An experienced shooter, known as Ohio Joe, who recently passed, told me in no uncertain terms, to never do this. He said it could trap air in the barrel and might prevent the ramrod from fully seating the next load of powder, patch, and ball. This would most likely create a bomb in the barrel. Taking his advice, before reloading, I always strive to put the hammer on half cock and check to be sure no cap fragment is blocking the nipple. One day I forgot to do this and when ramming the patched ball on the powder, the rod had a spongy pumping feel to it. On checking, I pulled the hammer, removed the fired cap, and then was able to fully seat the load. If I had been in a hurry it's possible I wouldn't be writing this now. For me, ml shooting is best done slowly and deliberately. It's no time to be ratchet jawing with your buddies.

The Lyman book is not gospel. It was written to sell books and Lyman products. Same with the so-called advice in the back of the Dixie catalog. Lotsa misinformation. And don't overlook possibly dangerous typos like the grains/grams thing in the Fox Fire books.

I wish I had started out with a quality gun with a chambers lock on it. Kibler wasn't available then. Had a lot of misfires which convinced my hunting buddies flinters were a PITA that worked sometimes so they all went to inlines and avoided flint. So now I am the only one who shoots a flinter. Now I have reliable guns and shoot alone. Actually, I like it this way as there are no interruptions to mess up my shooting.

Also, I have never heard of not using a wooden ramrod when it is cold. I've been out in some pretty cold weather years ago and never had a problem. Not sure I understand that comment.

The Lyman book is not gospel. It was written to sell books and Lyman products. Same with the so-called advice in the back of the Dixie catalog. Lotsa misinformation. And don't overlook possibly dangerous typos like the grains/grams thing in the Fox Fire books.
I'm glad you don't need this advice, but every experienced BP shooter starts out as a know nothing newbie. Growing up, the legendary Lyman company was one of THE most trusted sources for all things that go bang, so I did take their booklet as gospel. I bet a lot of other people who read it did the same, but following those instructions is flat out dangerous. I'm thankful that Ohio Joe passed that info to me and I'll continue to pass it on to others.

I guess I'm lucky, my grandfather taught me all about shooting a flintlock when I was 10 years old in '52. Never had any trouble following his directions. Got to shoot a lot of squirrels when in the woods with him. Sadly he passed away in '62 and his flintlock went to my older brother.

I guess I'm lucky, my grandfather taught me all about shooting a flintlock when I was 10 years old in '52. Never had any trouble following his directions. Got to shoot a lot of squirrels when in the woods with him. Sadly he passed away in '62 and his flintlock went to my older brother.
No outdoorsy types in my house i am self made as they say

Water cleans just fine and it doesn’t have to be boiling hot

Patch material cut from fabric seems to hold up better to ignition than the store bought patches

Buy once cry once, that deal on your local armslist isn’t always a deal.

Practice is more important than anything, even if you’re missing and you’re experimenting with patch material that’s not a great fit or the wrong load. At least you tried it.

Swapping guns 3 times in your first year won’t make you a better shot it’ll just confuse you.

and finally, don’t believe everything you read on this forum.

Back