• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats some things you wish you knew about/had early on when you started shooting these?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I ever needed to learn about Shooting Patched Round Ball Rifles - I learned from my dear departed friend Brian Scott (Scotty) and that was over 50 years ago - everything since then has only 'rounded things out'. He learnt by writing to the likes of Red Ferris; Harry Merklee; Royland Southgate and Max Vickery. Books like Ned Roberts 'The Muzzleloading Cap-lock Rifle' and Dillon's 'Kentucky Rifle' were devoured to the point they have nearly worn out! Meeting Rudyard and having him as a close friend has certainly expanded my knowledge into some more esoteric areas (just love my Matchlock). I just love the chance to pass it all on and see new shooters getting a buzz from burning powder!

On page 8 of the Lyman User's Guide that came with my cap lock GPR, under Safety Notes, it states "Caplocks: After firing leave the hammer down over the exploded cap as you reload." THIS IS WRONG, IT IS UNSAFE! An experienced shooter, known as Ohio Joe, who recently passed, told me in no uncertain terms, to never do this. He said it could trap air in the barrel and might prevent the ramrod from fully seating the next load of powder, patch, and ball. This would most likely create a bomb in the barrel. Taking his advice, before reloading, I always strive to put the hammer on half cock and check to be sure no cap fragment is blocking the nipple. One day I forgot to do this and when ramming the patched ball on the powder, the rod had a spongy pumping feel to it. On checking, I pulled the hammer, removed the fired cap, and then was able to fully seat the load. If I had been in a hurry it's possible I wouldn't be writing this now. For me, ml shooting is best done slowly and deliberately. It's no time to be ratchet jawing with your buddies.
Wow! Thanks!!

All I ever needed to learn about Shooting Patched Round Ball Rifles - I learned from my dear departed friend Brian Scott (Scotty) and that was over 50 years ago - everything since then has only 'rounded things out'. He learnt by writing to the likes of Red Ferris; Harry Merklee; Royland Southgate and Max Vickery. Books like Ned Roberts 'The Muzzleloading Cap-lock Rifle' and Dillon's 'Kentucky Rifle' were devoured to the point they have nearly worn out! Meeting Rudyard and having him as a close friend has certainly expanded my knowledge into some more esoteric areas (just love my Matchlock). I just love the chance to pass it all on and see new shooters getting a buzz from burning powder!
Next 'shortage' thing will be matchlock cord! :p

Back