• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the purpose of this screw on my TC flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ham handed gunsmithing on the kitchen table sometimes leaves telltale tracks. That tang is weak where T/C's poor design and workmanship left an angled stress riser coincident with the tang screw hole. Even so, the tang isn't holding all that much load to fracture unless the barrel was pried from the stock without removing the tang screw. Imagine the surprise on that gun plumber's face when the tang fractured as he pried. How dishonest can you get to put it back together and sell to the next owner? Our toys lead rough lives.

Not sure what your concern is, but youā€™re looking at 8ā€-9ā€ between the rear hole and the sight holes on a TC Firestorm barrel. You can now purchase one with confidence, or if not purchasing, maybe you will sleep better.
View attachment 325702
Not really concerned, just havenā€™t seen a scope base of that length. Seems to be a very odd design, if that rear threaded hole is for a scope base.

Hi,
These things have hooked breeches don't they? So the crack in the tang is not from forgetting to remove the tang bolts to remove the barrel. My guess is the hook is snug and levers the tang up when installed or removed stressing the tang. That is poor design. On original 18th century British guns with standing (hook) breeches, the bottom of the breech is secured with a cross pin through a lug on the bottom of the breech or there is a bolt coming up from the trigger guard and threading into the bottom of the breech. That prevents damage like you see on this gun.

dave

It's the same screw location as on several other TC offerings for mounting optional sights. Not for locking or clocking anything. Their Gorilla scope mounts come to mind.

NOW I'D BE WAY MORE CONCERNED ABOUT THAT BROKEN TANG IF IT WERE MINE!!!
Easy fix, get out the TIG torch, draw file and counter sink !

Back