• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite caplock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My double barrel side by side 12 gauge shotgun, because it's the only kit I've put together that created a gun I'm genuinely proud of, and because of its relative versatility.

Beyond that, my answers are exactly the same as they were for the rock-lock thread.
:v

Euroarms Of America
45 cal
60 gr fff
440 roundball
I owned the gun for 28 years great shooter

Navy Arms Morse .45 ($75.00 close out in about 1979)
65gr 3f / Ideal 405 gr. hollow based mini.
Soap & Water, light oil
Same as with the Rock lock, Central Kansas.

53 cal. Sante fe Hawkin
520 ball .018 ticking, lubed w/bore butter
95 grains 2f goex
nu.11 cci cap
warm water,w/dish soap, dry,lube w/rem. gun oil
whitetail woods in southeast iowa

.50 cal T/C Hawken
65 grns FFFG Goex
Swab with windshield washer fluid,then denathured alcohol. Followed by coating inside & out with Barricade or Sheath.
My 26 acres we just bought in Tn. just south of the Land Between the Lakes.thumbsup:

.50 custom Lancaster 7/8 GM 38 in. bbl
90GRS. 2F .490 Hornady or cast ball drill cloth cut at the muzzle using bore butter
clean using murphys-alcohol-stuff
run patch with sheath and rig after cleaning.

ebiggs said:
This might be fun.
Here are the rules:
You can have ONLY one. No “also”, or “or”, or “plus”, or “and”, nothing additional just one.
No, depends on the situation or circumstances.

Your favorite cap lock.
Your favorite load.
Your favorite cleaning method, and
your favorite place.

Don’t break the rules just one and only one of each item.
Remember there are no right or wrong answers just what would be your choice.
This will not be totaled or tallied. If you are a post reader and not a replier this is your chance to tell us your favorite.

Mine are”¦”¦”¦
My 50 cal TC Hawken that I made from a kit in 1970.
70 grs of Pyrodex RS and CCI cap with .490 Bore Butter patched round ball.
Very hot water and Rem oil.
Right here in eastern Kansas.

We did this on the rock lock side and many suggested a picture but this is not
a requirement. Remember just one no excuses!
EB
.54 cal Hawken Scratch built in 1999 with a Davis cap lock.
90 grains FFG blaack powder .535 RB with bees wax and olive oil lubed .016 denim patch.
Boiling hot soapy water and swabbed with my patch lube.
My favorite spot is in central Missouri.

HH 60 :thumbsup:

Custom made Tennessee Poor Boy, .45cal,42" swamped barrel by Rex Maxey,cobra head nose, Haddaway lock(was flintlock at first) and set trigger. Stock is curly maple with a few birdeyes in it. Target load- 50grs Goex 3F with Hornady .445 roundball.Hunting load-70grs.3F
Cleaned with TC #13 and oiled with Breakfree. Shot in the Dark and Bloody Ground(Kentucky)

T/C Renegade 32" GM barrel 1-70 twist
95 FFF-Goex
! OxYoke 62 cal bore button 1/8 thick
.018 ticking Hoppe's bps&l above 23 degress- Swampy's Moose snot (olive oil blend) below 23 degrees
.570 home cast round ball
FFFF-Goex prime
hot tap water-dawn dish soap -light patch on bronze brush- dry after rem oil finish
Chippewa River Bottoms- Buffalo County Wisconsin On the big bend of the Buffalo Slough..watching the mallards pour in while in a tree stand hunting deer.

Don't beat me up too bad.....
This is my favorie hunting caplock

Thompson Center "Grey Hawk"
85 gr FF Goex
Walmart Blue ticking
Dawn and hot water followed by Clenzoil
Favorite place is a swamp in a WMA in Mississippi.

My Grey Hawk is a tack driver and I can beat the manure out of the stock and I don't get mad at myself. :v

.50 Cal Penn long rifle, 70 grains fff. .490 ball with .015 lubed patch, topped with #11 cap.
Hot soapy water, flush and oil.
At 74, I need shooting sticks too.
Gobblers Knob

My favorite capper;
My .50 GPR

My favorite load;
.490 round ball/.020 Ox-yoke pre-lubed/75 grains 2F Goex

Cleaning method;
Hot soapy water

Place;
My deer huntin' honey hole, "The Valley".
Or Friendship.
Or runnin' the woods in a big river valley.
I just can't pick one favorite spot.

54 cal CVA Big Bore Mt. Rifle

90gr GOEX 2-f ,PRB,bear lard lube

Drop breech in hot water pump in &Out of barrel dry with patches and oil.

Home in Georgia

Your favorite cap lock.

Easy. A .53 Uberti Santa Fe Hawken.

Your favorite load.
50 grains 3F with a .520 ball and .026 canvas duck patch for 25 and 50 yards. 75 grains for 100 yards and hunting. For over 100 yards just give it more sight.

Your favorite cleaning method
Soap and room temperature water. I use a .22 brush with a patch wrapped around it to clean the patent breech. I follow this with two Ballistol and water patches to kill the soap and get any extra graphite followed by pure Ballistol to protect the barrel and other metal parts.

your favorite place.
Anywhere I am shooting.

T/C Pennsylvania Hunter .50 cal, 32"barrel, 1:66" ROT
.490 rb, .015 patch lubed with bore butter, 60 gr. of Goex FFF
Hot soapy water, rinse, dry, Outers gun oil.
Elbridge Rod and Gun Club, Elbridge NY

My favorite cap lock.
1975 Investarms 50 cal Hawkin with a 32 Inch GM 1 in 66 drop in barrel.

My favorite load.
30 grains of 3f Goex, 490 RB and a walmart blue ticking with 6 to 1 Ballistol patch.

My favorite cleaning method.
Swabbed with straight Ballistol at the range. Then hot tap water in a tub in the wifes sink with three squirts of Dawn dish detergent. Swabbed several times, till the cotten patches come out clean, followed by one with alcohol and another one with straight Ballistol. Then a Bourbon and 7 for me. :rotf:

My favorite place.
Escambia River Muzzle Loaders range in Northern Pensacola, Florida.

:redface: I forgot to name my drink in my post :cursing: so I'll just say Winter: Becks Dark, Summer: Amstel Light. Either way a good Cuban cigar would go good too! :haha:

I like this thread! Thanks for starting it!

Dave

smokin .50 said:
:redface: I forgot to name my drink in my post :cursing: so I'll just say Winter: Becks Dark, Summer: Amstel Light. Either way a good Cuban cigar would go good too! :haha:

I like this thread! Thanks for starting it!

Dave

Dave, The Beck's Dark is mighty, mighty fine; but it is fine all year round! Light beers are for those timid folks who go on treks with WATER in their canteens. Think I'm kidding? I've seen it with my own eyes. Imagine my disgust (recently) when I was offered a drink from a companion's water skin while on a trek. Dang if it wasn't WATER! :rotf:

I did not respond to the similar thread in the Flintlock forum 'cause I could not pick my favorite flinter, but I have a favorite percussion rifle:

.54 fullstock Hawken built by a friend last year--Getz 1:56 barrel, L&R lock

80 grns. Goex 3F/.535 Hornady ball/.020 Ox-Yoke pre-lubed patch

Windex w/vinegar, followed by 91% alcohol, oiled with CLP

A friend's farms in Iowa
IMGP0027.jpg

IMGP0029.jpg

makeumsmoke said:
T/C Renegade 32" GM barrel 1-70 twist
95 FFF-Goex
! OxYoke 62 cal bore button 1/8 thick
.018 ticking Hoppe's bps&l above 23 degress- Swampy's Moose snot (olive oil blend) below 23 degrees
.570 home cast round ball
FFFF-Goex prime
hot tap water-dawn dish soap -light patch on bronze brush- dry after rem oil finish
Chippewa River Bottoms- Buffalo County Wisconsin On the big bend of the Buffalo Slough..watching the mallards pour in while in a tree stand hunting deer.
Up Date as of 2-20-2010

new load --58 cal. 32" gm 1-70
103 gr fff Goex
1 Circle Fly 500 fiber wad- lubed
2 .010 100% cotton linen patch lubed
.565 round ball
4F-Goex prime... as of 3:30 pm today!

Latest posts

Back