• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats your favorite muzzleloader you own?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Woods runner is a sexy beast, I love looking at it and shouldering it. As soon as I learn to shoot it well it will be even better. I'm SO not doing "Ole Shuug" justice right now. My favorite to shoot is my plain ole Traditions Kentucky. That thing will SHOOT, for me. I have alot of hours and memories in the woods with it. It's nothing special, but it's special to me. I was gonna cut it down for my son, but I can't even bring myself to do that.

My first favorite are my originals, Swiss Jaeger. .70 cal, 1700s and right behind is 2nd favorite Danish Jaeger .70 cal mid 1800s. Both are tack drivers. Thank you again @Relic shooter !

Attachments

• Swiss Jaeger.JPG
    Swiss Jaeger.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Danish Jaeger.JPG
    Danish Jaeger.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
A friend gave me this one his death bed, it is from the 70s when people didn't have the reference material we have now, the builder used what was available at the time to make this rifle. It has a Roller lock and a Large barrel and will shoot just about a one hole group at 50 yards. The lock goes off so fast I don't even have time to flinch.

What made this my most favored rifle is it started me on my flintlock journey. After several years shooting sometimes undependable TC flintlocks, this rifle showed me just how good and dependable a rifle with the best parts could perform.

biff barrel.jpg

Strange lock panels but part of the rifle's history.

biffs lock panel.jpg

The wood, nothing like it.

biffs gun wood in sunlight.jpg

Biffs gun wood 1.jpg

And the best part, it kills them dead!

silver rifle five point.jpg

Last edited:
A friend gave me this one his death bed, it is from the 70s when people didn't have the reference material we have now, the builder used what was available at the time to make this rifle. It has a Roller lock and a Large barrel and will shoot just about a one hole group at 50 yards. The lock goes off so fast I don't even have time to flinch.

What made this my most favored rifle is it started me on my flintlock journey. After several years shooting sometime undependable TC flintlocks, this rifle showed me just how good and dependable a rifle with the best parts could perform.

View attachment 325465

View attachment 325468

View attachment 325469

View attachment 325470

View attachment 325471
Nice rifle nice deer!

What made this my most favored rifle is it started me on my flintlock journey. After several years shooting sometime undependable TC flintlocks, this rifle showed me just how good and dependable a rifle with the best parts could perform.

View attachment 325465

View attachment 325468

View attachment 325469

View attachment 325470

View attachment 325471
Nice rifle nice deer!
Bill Large was one of the best at the time. That gun is a piece of modern history. No surprise it’s a one holer!

I have a couple dozen commercial, custom and originals to pick from. Hands down my favorite is a kit built USA CVA MR bought for $68 at Hecks department store in Lancaster, Ohio in 1977. It started me on this journey of over 40 years. I've shot over 70 pounds of Goex through it and still can get a 2" group at 50y. I shoot flint more these days, but that MR won me a lot of prizes over the years, and would still be my first pick for deer hunts.

I have a S. Bookbinder .45 percussion rifle of the Bedford design that not only looks great, but shoots great too!.
I'm working on a A. Sweitzer rifle in .45 cal., you've given me extra energy to continue, looks great!
Do you have mostly incised carving ? What size barrel do you have, I'm using a 13/16" flats?

My first favorite are my originals, Swiss Jaeger. .70 cal, 1700s and right behind is 2nd favorite Danish Jaeger .70 cal mid 1800s. Both are tack drivers. Thank you again @Relic shooter !
Bill your posting means much to me !!
I'm very pleased that we were able to become friends through the forum & 'you' became the latest caretaker of these two fine Jaegers.
Who they went to had priority over $.
Throughout my 65 years of collecting & shooting many fine original European rifles, the .70 cal. Danish Jaeger's suburb & consistent accuracy, balance & light weight quickly earned it's way became my favorite competition winning & big game rifle for 40+ years & I believe the Swiss Jaeger has potential to be an equal contenter.
Back when a teenager one of the best shooting tips I got was, the contender who only shoots one rifle in competition
is usually in the winner's circle.😉
Wish you & yours many happy memories ahead !
Chuck / Relic shooter

It's dang near impossible to decide. If I was forced to pick it would be between my lefty flintlock built by Hacker Martin or my genuine 1861 US Springfield

I have owned Thompson Center, F.I.E., Traditions, Pedersoli and a couple of other brands of muzzleloaders. My favorite one is the Pedersoli, Missouri River, Hawken, 45 caliber, percussion rifle that is hanging on a gun rack over my desk. I have shot some matches with it, and I have always scored within the top 10% of all contestants. I have taken first and second place with it a few times.

What made this my most favored rifle is it started me on my flintlock journey. After several years shooting sometimes undependable TC flintlocks, this rifle showed me just how good and dependable a rifle with the best parts could perform.

View attachment 325465

View attachment 325468

View attachment 325469

View attachment 325470

View attachment 325471
That’s a stunner…

Latest posts

Back