• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite smoothy, undt do ya own it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbaric1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had a bunch of them, Northwest trade gun, a custom made restock of a French trade gun inspired by Colonial Frontier Guns. Both in .58 cal. A New England Club Butt fowler in 12 bore. And finally my first love, a Tulle Fusil du Buccaneer, in 24 gauge. It took nearly three years to get all the parts together and get her built. Named it Jean Lafoote.

My favorite is the Brown Bess, but lately I have been eyeing up the American Fowler by Early Rustic Arms...

americanfowler05.jpg

Well, let's see. I have the 12 ga SXS by Navy Arms. I have a First Model Brown Bess from Loyalist Arms and I have an American Fowler in 20 ga from Jack Garner.

The American fowler is real joy to shoot. Its light and easy to handle. The Bess is a need to reenact as a British Private in the F&I War. The SXS is a good hunting gun.

If I must choose, its the fowler.

My 18ga double by Bilby Hyde & Co. ca 1815 ish. I've killed alot of pheasents with 1oz loads and it grinds skeet up all day with 5/8 oz loads. Great little gun.
bilby1.jpg
[/img]
bilby2.jpg
[/img]
bilby5.jpg
[/img]
bilby4.jpg
[/img] :RO:
Still need to get those barrels rebrowned...... :shake:

Tulle de Chasse. Yes, I own it and like it quite well. I intend to hunt deer and turkey at short range with it this fall.

I also have a Bess, but that is a special purpose gun for Rev War and too shiny for much else.

CS

I recently moved up to a flintlock, having shot percussion and black powder cartridge guns for years.

Mine is a French Type "D" trade gun in 20 Gauge. Being left handed, it took awhile to find the right one.

I plan on getting back into deer hunting this fall after being away from it for some time (I focused on duck hunting, and working with my English Setter).

I would like to add a LH Northwest gun, or English Chief's grade gun one day.

I guess my replica French hunting gun from the town of Tulle circa 1730 would be my latest and favorite smoothbore.

Barbaric1:

Does it have to be just one? I love all of my smoothies equally whether they are Handgonnes, Matchlocks, Wheellocks, etc. :imo:

OldMaine - I too am a south paw. Been looking for a left handed smoothie. Where did you get yours?

I am especially fond of my 20 bore English fowler. It is light and well balanced and patterns well. It is also quite handsome, which is always a plus.
Then there is my 1842 Springfield musket which I tend to think of as a heavy duty fowler. It, too, patterns well and swings nicely, though it is a bit heavier than my English gun.

I'd say my favorite was the type D gun I built from a mold and gun shop kit. I sold it this winter, needed the funds for other stuff. Wish I'd a kept it. Now I have a fowler built by Greg Christian and a Virginia style smoothrifle built by Kent Smith and I like 'em both just fine. They actually fit my persona better than the French gun but I miss it still the same.

I shoot a 62 cal. Fowler built from a TOTW parts kit.
Currently I'm working on a Bess lock from them. That'll be the next gun.

Latest posts

Back