• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your go to lube recipe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revolvers...50/50 Beeswax/olive oil on warm days, 20/80 beeswax/olive oil on cold days for the over powder wads.. Musket...Old Turkey Track on shooting patch and I load the ball with a dawn, water, ballistol patched jag. I can do a 25 round shooting match with no cleaning between shots doing this and maintain very good accuracy.

Olive oil for round ball patches. A very experienced old timer taught me to use grease over the balls out of a small grease gun for cap and ball revolvers. I know, the conventional wisdom is no petroleum products with black powder. However, this works. I shot many cowboy matches without needing to clean a revolver all day. That would mean 40 or 50 shots per gun with no problem.

If I want to go period correct I would blend lard or olive oil with beeswax to get a thick grease. Thicker in hot weather.

I use a blend similar to those mentioned above on conicals and to seal the front of cylinder on a revolver with 5 parts Beeswax, 4 parts Crisco and 1/2 part (or less) anhydrous lanolin (measured by volume). A little dab of lanolin makes it stick to the bullets better and may help with lubrication.

TOW Mink Oil with pure Bear Oil mixed in, more bear in winter to keep soft and less in summer so not to become too sloppy.
All my guns run great with it and any say they don't like it gets a beating until the submit!

Beeswax and jojoba oil.
FWIW, jojoba oil is chemically identical to Sperm (whale) oil.
Whale oil was used for almost everything in firearms prior to the Civil war.
Looking through the early quartermaster records of purchase, and the requisition records, what they used was a mixture of beeswax, sperm oil, and lambs tallow.
*All of which had a very high smoke temp, and none of which is petroleum based.

Easiest conical lube recipes I've tried are a mixture of olive and beeswax or crisco and beeswax. You can also mix all three ingredients together. I've had pretty good results doing this and you can add more or less beeswax to make it stiffer.

Back