• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheellock Revolver: How Does it Work?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came across this wheellock revolver:
001DF600-2A86-44BF-A43A-E58FC35E206F.jpeg

Wheellock six-shot revolver By Paul Dübler. - Royal Armouries collections
The actual revolving part is just hand rotated with a spring holding it in position, but the confusing part is the seemingly large amount of space between the wheellock ignition and the cylinder.

Other pre percussion revolvers have the ignition directly into the cylinder chambers:

7510E28A-F879-4FB7-8666-4FB7425EC997.jpeg

Flintlock six-shot revolver - Collier Patent By Collier. A revolving cylinder pistol that requires the cylinder to be manually turned. It has an octagonal barrel, with single pipe for a wooden cleaning rod. The cylinder is six-shot, and has a frizzen mounted to the right of the barrel, as would normally be found on a standard flintlock pistol. The rotation of the cylinder permits the touch-hole to line up with the frizzen. There is a sliding cover over the touch hole. The trigger guard is squared at the rear, and the butt is fully chequered. The lockplate, tang and top of the barrel are foliate engraved, with the Union Jack and Stand of Arms also incorporated. - Royal Armouries collections

Does anyone have any insight or ideas how the wheellock igniting the chambers is supposed to work?

Last edited:
The museum was able to answer my question. There is a hole at the back of each chamber that lines up and intersects with the touch hole of the wheellock. I had assumed there was too much space for that, but I was incorrect.

Last edited:
I know what they said … but purely going by the picture, it sure looks like the pan is a good 1-1/2” behind the revolving cylinder. Albeit a straight shot, that is still a long flash channel!
Exactly my original thought. The curator pointed out the metal in front of the cylinder, to deflect chain fires. That seems shows that it was actually made with some practicality in mind and not just a gunsmith showing off.

Instead of just one or two examples, there are actually multiple surviving wheellock revolvers. This provides good evidence that they could have been practical weapons.

b6b5fb85-6908-4dcc-9ba9-b3570a9f3189.jpg

dff7cbbe-5438-455c-9095-d29dff418270.jpg

HJRK_A_1145_12739.jpg

Wheellock six-shot revolver carbine (1610).jpg

Wheellock six-shot revolver.jpg

There are stylistic differences, but the revolver mechanisms are the exact same.

Back