• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

" wheellock"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raszpla

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A VERY RARE SUPERIMPOSED LOAD GERMAN WHEELLOCK BELT PISTOL DATED 1609, SIGNED VK, PROBABLY
FOR VALENTIN KLETT OF SUHL
with swamped barrel formed in four stages, overlaid with
brass at the muzzle, median and the breech, the latter boldly
stamped with the date and the barrelsmith's initials 'VK', flat
lock stamped with the maker's initials 'VK' conjoined (Neue
Støckel 4688) and retained by three side nails, fitted with two
elliptical external wheels each overlaid with an engraved giltbrass panel, moulded pans decorated with a scalloped design
and with engraved sliding covers, engraved moulded dogs
chiselled with birds-of-prey on the spurs (restorations), reblued
trigger, sprung moulded safety- catch opposite the lock, steel
full stock chiselled with a scalloped pattern over the fore-end
on each side of the barrel, signed behind the tang with the
makers initials 'VK' (an early repair behind the tang), the grip
with a later leather covering bound with plaited wire, ball
pommel incorporating a hinged cap applied with a pierced giltbrass flower-shaped bracket, pierced gilt-brass trigger-guard,
associated steel belt hook, and no provision for a ramrod
http://thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as051212/lot0302-0.jpg :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
its neat but it looks like the forward lock is just for decoration. from that picture the rear lock is the onley one with a vent.

-matt

sc45-70 said:
The pan covers are closed so you can't see either vent!

SC45-70

its hard to see but you can see the vent on the rear lock.

-matt

I can see the screw slot of the vent liner on the rear vent, but the pan cover hides the front vent!
(enlarge the photo!)

This gun is designed to use superposed loads (one load behind the other in the same barrel). You shoot the front load first, then the rear!

There is a vent under the pan cover to fire the front load!

Trust me, they wouldn't spend all the time on another lock for a decoration!

SC45-70

i can see it now, had to enlarge the photo.

would have to be a brave man to fire a gun like this. accidently setting off both loads or even worse just the back load would be terrible!

-matt

5d2dxi.jpg

2dlj0n6.jpg

2niqzys.jpg

2uskgw7.jpg

4sfs75.jpg

1z22kra.jpg

:hatsoff:

to są szczegóły konstrukcyjne podwójnego zamka kołowego. zamek ten obsługiwał dwie lufy umieszczone w pozycji jedna nad drugą ale zasada mechaniczna jest identyczna w przypadku pojedynczej lufy z dwoma otworami zapałowymi.
:hatsoff:

6xsxs0.jpg

raszpla said:
to są szczegóły konstrukcyjne podwójnego zamka kołowego. zamek ten obsługiwał dwie lufy umieszczone w pozycji jedna nad drugą ale zasada mechaniczna jest identyczna w przypadku pojedynczej lufy z dwoma otworami zapałowymi.

net translators werent able to help me much with this... :surrender:

-matt

I have similar problems when trying to understand the English text!
:rotf: :hatsoff: :wink:

The more I study this wheellock pistol the better it gets. To me it is amazing how inventive the gunsmiths were back then. Awesome. Thank you Raszpla you have tought me a lot.

Back