• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When did T/C stop the .45 Hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFeather

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Was in a shop just now and looked at a Hawken the guy's had on his shelf since I can't remember. As I was looking at the muzzle, he said it was a .50, but upon reading the barrel it said 45. Gun's about 95% and what I could see at the muzzle looked good. Just a small chip or bad ding in the toe right ahead of the buttplate. Perfect spot for a toeplate, anyway. This one has the less pronounced comb and that carmel colored wood. Asking $239. Anybody try roundball in this caliber? (I just punch paper.)

RedFeather

RedFeather said:
Was in a shop just now and looked at a Hawken the guy's had on his shelf since I can't remember. As I was looking at the muzzle, he said it was a .50, but upon reading the barrel it said 45. Gun's about 95% and what I could see at the muzzle looked good. Just a small chip or bad ding in the toe right ahead of the buttplate. Perfect spot for a toeplate, anyway. This one has the less pronounced comb and that carmel colored wood. Asking $239. Anybody try roundball in this caliber? (I just punch paper.)

RedFeather

If the bore is good and I was standing in front of it, I'd buy it immediately...TC stopped making them back in the 90's...and if you point out the toe, and hold out a couple of $100 bills, he'd probably take them.

The 1:48" twist seems to be an excellent match for the .45cal as mine are very accurate with both a 128grn patched ball & a 255grn maxi-hunter.

(just sold a spare .45cal 1:66" flint round ball barrel for $220 by itself....45cal Hawkens are hard to come by)

What's your load for RB? I need to keep it down as I've had detached retinas and my surgeon reckoned anything with much recoil is pretty much out of the question. Not sure if I want to drop down to a .32 and .36;s are getting hard to find. Anyway, the price sure seems right.

i use and vouch for the .45 for punching paper. i use several rifles and loads. recoil is very mild. loads vary in the 40 to 50 gr. range. very accurate with a prb.

RedFeather said:
What's your load for RB? I need to keep it down as I've had detached retinas and my surgeon reckoned anything with much recoil is pretty much out of the question. Not sure if I want to drop down to a .32 and .36;s are getting hard to find. Anyway, the price sure seems right.
I use a 40grn charge of Goex 3F in a Hawken .45 Flintlock as a squirrel rifle, and the recoil is almost non-existent...I don't think the rifle even moves...deadly accurate shooting 1" aim point stickers at 25yds...you could even use less amounts of 3F just to punch paper...just don't go below 25grns...(the patent breech plug holds about 20grs)

My deer hunting charges are 90grns Goex 3F.

I wouldn't hunt deer with a .45 except in an emergency. They are fun for plinking.

Looking at TC website a while back I see they dont make a 54 cal anymore either...Just the 50 now?

***Sean*** said:
Looking at TC website a while back I see they dont make a 54 cal anymore either...Just the 50 now?
TC seems to be turning more and more of those sales over to it's Fox Ridge store...Fox Ridge has the .50, .54, and .58cal in cap & flint, Renegade & Hawken

Man the last one I saw in good shape they wanted $300. Plus. I'd grab that baby if you can.

Just found this link to published T/C load data circa 1980:
[url] http://hunting.about.com/od/blackpowder/a/tcrifleloads.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Many years ago, when men were men, when giants walked the earth, and when i had all my hair, i wandered into a little gunshop called Cumberland Knife & Gun (it was near Fort Bragg). I bought, out of boredom and curiousity, the rifle you describe.

I have been an advocate of BP ever since.

If you miss this opportunity.....

Good luck, plonk down the loot!

MSW

'Tis the loot I am short on, not to mention storage space. My main problem is I have a T/C .50 that I haven't played around with yet, as well as a heavy barreled .45 underhammer. While it's a good deal, I have to figure what can go to make the hole, literally. (But won't be a BP gun. Well, perhaps the inline.) Maybe I will take a harder look at it today.

RedFeather

I wouldn't hunt deer with a .45 except in an emergency.
i'll tell that to the 5 or 6 deer that i harvested with a cva frontier .45 caplock. they did'nt complain. each person must use what they are comfortable with and have confidence in the rifle and load. i respect your opinion but don't agree with it.

walruskid1 said:
I wouldn't hunt deer with a .45 except in an emergency.
i'll tell that to the 5 or 6 deer that i harvested with a cva frontier .45 caplock. they did'nt complain. each person must use what they are comfortable with and have confidence in the rifle and load. i respect your opinion but don't agree with it.
I've taken about dozen with the .45cal...all one shot stops...it's my favorite caliber that I always return to...people just have to learn how to hunt, learn about proper shot placement, practice enough to be able to make those shots, etc...must always understand the capabilities of the firearm being used...I've often said if I could only have one ML 'rifle', it would be a .45cal x 1:48"...it'll drive tacks with a 128grn Hornady ball or a TC 255grn maxi-hunter.

For the past few years I've filled my tags with a .58cal rifle and a .54cal smoothbore muzzleloaders I'd acquired...and now that the novelty has worn off I've already decided to start this coming season with a .45cal Flintlock...if I fill some tags with it, then I'll blow the cobwebs off a .50cal and carry it a while...you have to give them all a chance or they'll start pouting!
:thumbsup:

Took another look at the .45 Hawken today. Had to fetch my mini-maglite so I was able to see down about four inches. There was a bit of whitish scale and a small patch of light rust up near the muzzle. Couldn't tell much beyond that. I should think it would clean up well, as it wasn't deep. This one has the longer tang with provision for a peep sight and the barrel doesn't have the big HAWKEN name emblazoned on it. Stock had a few more dings and slight scrapes but nothing bad or deep. Since the wood is that light walnut and it has a touch of figure, I would most likely strip, steam and restain it something darker. I believe the original owner put it away some time ago as the patch box held a cleaning jag, one well-oxidized ball and a cap. Guess he wanted to be ready on a moment's notice. I'll mull it over this weekend and see how I feel on Monday, if it's still there.

RedFeather

for info only: this week fox ridge said they had 45 cal barrels.

I think that's just the standard caplock barrels with QLA...no flint barrels, and no round ball barrels in either ignition...(unless they've changed their plans very recently) :confused:

Swampman said:
I wouldn't hunt deer with a .45 except in an emergency. They are fun for plinking.

36 kills 'em dead, 45 is a bear caliber :v.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Back