• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When did T/C stop the .45 Hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gordie said:
what diffence will i see between a .45cal

w/ 1-48 vs. 1-66 twist, with PRB of course?

Let me say up front that I have not run tests or experimented with various twists/calibers. That said, I can say I do have an engineering mind (and background).

It seems the .45 is the breaking off point for the barrel makers.
Per the Dixie catalog, Green Mountain and Long Hammock straight roundball barrels have the following twists:
.40 cal and under = 1:48
.45 cal = 1:60
.50 cal = 1:70
.54 cal = 1:70

Several Colerain barrels are:
.40 cal =1:48
.45 cal = 1:48
.50 cal = 1:56
.54 cal = 1:56

From this I would say the 1:48 twist in the TC gun could be considered a roundball twist for the .45 caliber. :)
I must also add that there is a difference in the depth of rifleing between the custom barrel makers and TC. The custom makers use deep (.010) grooves for their roundball barrels while the TC rifleing depth is about .005.

Hey
I have a 45 cal 1:66 twist 32 inch T/C faqctory Hawkin. I stole the gun from the shop. They are into inlines and let sidlocks go cheap. when I bought it I just picked it up looked at it and set it on the counter and said its mine. the barrel is also a 15/16 flat to flat. it even came with a peep sight and that helped me alot. it also like the lee REAL slugs the 240 grainer. When I find a T/C 45 hawkin I snatch it up fast.
Bearbeater

Was that a custom barrel? Never heard of them offerng the .45 in that twist. .50, yes. Was it one of those target or match models they started making a few years ago? I know they came up with weird stuff over the years. Have a T/C Express rifle with 32" .50 barrel in 1:38. Single trigger, blued furniture, buttpad and semi-pistol grip. Very continental. Has the rear sight with two folding leaves, too, like on my double barreled Kodiak. Guess one leaf's supposed to be for fifty yards and the other for a hundred. "Wait, now, deer-y. Are you standing closer to fifty or should I go for a hundred? Don't move while I flip these around. Now, which one's which again??? Decisions, decisions!" :grin:

RedFeather said:
Was that a custom barrel? Never heard of them offerng the .45 in that twist. .50, yes. Was it one of those target or match models they started making a few years ago? I know they came up with weird stuff over the years. Have a T/C Express rifle with 32" .50 barrel in 1:38. Single trigger, blued furniture, buttpad and semi-pistol grip. Very continental. Has the rear sight with two folding leaves, too, like on my double barreled Kodiak. Guess one leaf's supposed to be for fifty yards and the other for a hundred. "Wait, now, deer-y. Are you standing closer to fifty or should I go for a hundred? Don't move while I flip these around. Now, which one's which again??? Decisions, decisions!" :grin:

I don't know why TC never makes a bigger deal out of their advertising than they do but TC has made 1:66" round ball barrels for decades...both caplock and flintlock, 15/16" and 1" barrels...I have them in both sizes, cap & flint....010" grooves.

Unfortunately they stopped making the .45cal 1:66" RB several years ago, but still make/sell the .50 and .54...you get them through TC's Fox Ridge store.

Zonie From this I would say the 1:48 twist in the TC gun could be considered a roundball twist for the .45 caliber. [/quote said:
Actually that's been my experience as well...TC's .45cal 1:48" are extremely accurate with PRB's.

In fact, the first RB barrel I bought was also a .45cal...I had bought it due to all the hype I'd read on boards like these that "1:48" barrels don't shoot RB's accurately"...but quickly learned that was an old wives tale as an across the board statement...particularly so with the .45cal.

I've posted before that if I could only keep one ML 'Rifle' to survive with...it would be a .45cal 1:48" Flinter because it shoots the 128grn .440 so accurately, and does the same with the heavier 255grn maxi-hunter...(heavier than a .54cal ball).

.45cals are great !!
:grin:

Back