• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When to cock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can quiet a cross-bolt safety by keeping a finger on one and the thumb on the other side.

Similarly you can quiet a hammer or cock by keeping pressure on he trigger (to keep it from slapping forward when the sear engages). Most of my rimfire and centerfire hunting and varmint shooting is with hammered rifles. When you need a fast shot it doesn't matter and when you need a slow shot it can be coaxed out quietly.

I ground hunt with a sightless recurve bow - ANY firearm seems easier by comparison. ;-)

A target double trigger - you should be 200 yards away and the deer won't hear it. :haha: I much prefer a single, unset trigger for the quietness and simplicity. The better hunting choice IMHO.

Back