• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When to drill the butt plate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaho

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, I have bought the stuff to start a build, have practiced the things I was a little scare of and now have a question. When do you drill the holes in the butt plate? Do you drill them prior to the install or do you drill them both together as some books recommend. I took a 2x10 and have shaped it to fit the butt plate. It was for practice before I cut the actual stock. I could drill the holes using it. Thanks in advance for your help.

I drill the screw holes before I inlet or set the butt plate into the stock. Be VERY careful when drilling the hole for the bottom screw of the butt plate. You MUST drill it high enough on the plate that the point of the screw will clear the toe plate and not interfear with the toe plate screw.
If you can get a copy of "The Gunsmith of Greenvile County" by Peter Armstrong it will walk you through the building of a muzzelloading gun and save you from messing up very expensive parts and wood. The cost of the book will be offset by saving you from making needless mistakes. :grin: :grin: Good luck on you project and keep asking questions before you make mistakes. The only dumb question is the one not asked. :thumbsup:

I have drilled the holes before and after inletting, never seemed to make much difference because you can't really put in the screws untill you almost have the plate totally inlet. As long as you can mark a centerline and aware of the placement of the bottom screw as posted above its all good. :thumbsup:

I always get the buttplate fully inletted before drilling the holes.
This way, if I have to make any little adjustments up/down or right/left I can.

As was mentioned, be sure to keep the lower hole well above the toe plate. Note that the underside of the stock is moving upward from the toe so if the screw is too low it will break thru.

By the way, I've seen where the old "pros" didn't follow this advice and the thin area right above the toeplate cracked thru on many old guns.
Course, they'r dead now so I suppose they don't care. :hmm:

I like to drill the holes first, that way I can keep track of the center line thru both holes. That way you can tell if the plate starts to drift left or right and keeps square with stock

After I'm satisfied with the inletting of the butt plate I will drill my holes.I drill the holes where I want them making sure the toe screw won't interfere with the screws from the toe plate and lower plate of the patchbox (four piece patchbox) The heel screw I will drill first bout 1/16" toward the breech, install that screw then drill the center of the toe screw and install that one..............George F.

I drill the holes first, planing ahead where patch box, toeplate screws and box release are going to be.
I do the same with top screw,drilling a pilot hole foward of center so it pulls foward for a tight fit. I just like drilling the holes first so I can keep the butt plate centered by seeing the lines thru the holes.

Latest posts

Back