• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When was the last percussion shotgun sold in the United States

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just rejoined the board. I thought I was a member all this time but I guess not. I have what I would think is a pretty simple question that I cannot find an answer for. When was the last commercially available muzzle loading shotgun offered for sale. I know the cartridge became popular in the 1870s but did they still sell cap and ball shotguns? Thanks if you know, and please direct me to the correct form if this is in the wrong place thanks. I'm not counting the reproductions Of course those are still made today, just the original manufacturer from Belgium or England or United States.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I just rejoined the board. I thought I was a member all this time but I guess not. I have what I would think is a pretty simple question that I cannot find an answer for. When was the last commercially available muzzle loading shotgun offered for sale. I know the cartridge became popular in the 1870s but did they still sell cap and ball shotguns? Thanks if you know, and please direct me to the correct form if this is in the wrong place thanks. I'm not counting the reproductions Of course those are still made today, just the original manufacturer from Belgium or England or United States.
I don’t know how many came to the US, but Belgian smoothbore percussion guns were being made up to the 1960s, most went to Africa and south or central america

I have seen American Flask and Cap co catalogs still printed in the 1890s (I think frugal meat hunters didn't want to give up perfectly good percussion pieces for expensive breechloaders) Sears Catalogs in 1902, and 1980 were still selling percussion supplies and firearms. There may have been a lapse around WWII as we've seen in the Ukraine major world war does affect muzzleloader supplies as they are recreational

I don’t know how many came to the US, but Belgian smoothbore percussion guns were being made up to the 1960s, most went to Africa and south or central america
My 1960 Stoeger catalogue has an ad for those, if I have time I'll post it. It is an interesting subject, the availability of muzzleloading supplies historically.

I know Turner Kirkland imported these here too. Well into the 70s I think. A search of Dixie Gun Works catalogues will show them.

That of course was a "resurrection" of sorts. I am thinking the OP is looking for when the front loader was surpassed as a primary.

Many civil war muskets were cut down and smoothbored to be sold by mail order. I have a catalog dated 1905 that has old Springfield musket conversions for sale. $3! The old guy I worked for in high school still had his dad’s 1861 shotgun conversion. He said he hunted with it up to 1941 until he was drafted, then came home after the war and was gifted a used model 1897 Winchester!

Back